Chapter 41 - Angel

1 Year Later...

I'm on a plane heading to my parents' home I feel like the plane is not moving fast enough and I'm losing my mind.

I got a call an hour ago telling me that my Dad was involved in a work accident and was rushed to the hospital. I didn't even have time to tell anyone anything, well except for Mr. Monroe because I was in the meeting with him. I'm so scared and I don't know what to expect.

The past year had been ok as far as Alice, Rachel, and I are concerned. We're closer than ever. Iris thinks it's weird, I don't care as long as I get to see Alice smile and be happy. Axel has been doing good too. I see articles that talk about him and it's quite inspiring g how he keeps growing as a businessman.

"Ma'am we have arrived", the air hostess told me, bringing me back from my bubble. Most people were already out of the plane so I moved out quickly and rushed to the hospital. I found Mum talking to a huge man who had his back to me.  The height difference was ridiculous and if I wasn't in a hurry to see my Dad, I would have made a joke about it.

"Mum, where is he?", I said making her turn to me. "Oh sweety", she said pulling me in a hug. When she pulled back, she took me to his room. He was sleeping and his leg was in a plaster cast. I went next to him and kissed his forehead. "What did the doctor say?", I asked finally turning to look at Mum. "He has broken a couple of bones, nothing that will cause permanent damage so he will need therapy and meds. He'll be fine Angel you didn't have to come all this way for this", she said with a knowing smile. "You look tired. Let's go get you some coffee from the cafeteria", she said offering me her hand. "We can't go at the same time. Who will stay with him?", I asked wondering why she was so relaxed. "Oh, Wade is here. He'll keep an eye on him for us", she said casually as if I was supposed to know this Wade person. "Who is Wade?", I asked, "Oh, he's your Dad's Client the one he's building the mall for. Let's go", she said pulling me out of the room.

"There he is. Wade dear. This is our daughter Angel. Angel this is Wade... Can you watch Michael while we go get some coffee at the cafeteria please", Mum said and all I could do was stare at the same humongous man she was talking to earlier. "Pleasure to meet you, Angel. No problem Esme. I can do that", his bass voice made me blink a couple of times until Mum cleared her throat and then giggled. "Uh, nice to meet you too", I said then walked away.

"He's cute isn't he?", Mum asked as we waited for our order to be called. "What?", "Wade... he's cute right?", she asked excitedly. "I guess", I said. "Oh, we're playing pretend... ok", she said making me smile. "Fine, he's cute and has weird eyes", I said making her jump with excitement. "You two should hang out. Get to know each other", "No Mum, what if he's married?", "He's divorced", she said sounding sure of herself. I stared at her, making her laugh. "I asked him ages ago. Come on it's not that creepy", she defended herself. "Mum, it is creepy... does he have kids?", I asked letting curiosity get the best of me. "Aaah hah! No, he doesn't have kids and no girlfriend. Women have been trying to get his attention but no one succeeded until now", she said in the last part while jumping on the chair like a kid.

"What do you mean?", I was so confused. Why was she excited? "You are clueless. I blame your father for that. Anyway, Wade likes you. You guys were stuck in a trance when your eyes met, it was like watching a movie aaawww! My baby is finally moving on!", she said making me roll my eyes.

We found Wade telling Dad not to overwork again but it was clear that he wasn't listening. "You're so stubborn", he said playfully making my Dad chuckle. We walked in, I hugged the hell out of my Dad making him complain that I was suffocating him. "You didn't have to come here it's just a broken bone", he said as if it was a normal thing. My glare made him shut up.

♢♦︎♢♦︎♢♦︎♢♦︎♢♦︎♢♦︎♢♦︎♢♦︎♢♦︎♢

We were discharged on the third day and Wade arranged transport for us because he was away on business. I stayed for a few extra days until I was sure he was recovering well. Mum was happily telling me, I would no longer be invading their privacy whatever that meant. I was surprised to find that there was a car assigned to my parents in case they wanted to go anywhere so I used it as my ride to the airport.

"Perfect timing boo. The annual gala is tomorrow. We need to go shopping", Iris said with a huge smile. "Where's Lily?", I asked looking at her cube. "Oh, she's on leave. It's her birthday and Blake decided he wanted to do something special for her this time around, I think he's proposing to her but since no one usually believes me, let's wait and see", Iris said with an evil smile. "Oouk! Let's go shopping then", I said pulling her out of the office.

"So who's this Wade that Esme keeps obsessing about?", Iris asked as we were picking clothes out. "Dad's client, apparently he's building a Mall and seems to be too close with my family for some reason. Mum wants me to date him", I said making Iris stop and turn to look at me. "Are you ready for that?", she asked while inspecting me. "I don't know, I mean Axel seems to be moving on with his life so what shouldn't I?", I said making her raise a brow. "Angel, this is not a competition, and it's not about Axel. Are you ready to let someone in again?", she asked making me think for a bit. "I think I am", I said and she nod and went back to assessing the boutique options. After a whole hour, we finally got the dresses SHE approved.

"Hello?", "Hi Angel, it's Wade. Your Mum gave me your number after I told her I was going to be in the same town as you so, I thought I should call and maybe we can go have dinner together if you don't mind", his bass was soothing. "Angel? Are you there?", he asked making me blink. Fuck! I was supposed to respond. "Now?", I asked. "If you're up for it I can send you the name of the restaurant and we can meet there in an hour maybe", he said nervously. "Sure", i said then hung up. It was 7 pm so I guess late dinner it is.