Chapter 5 - Axel

I haven't been able to focus on work, all I can think about is Angel Carwyn. I don't remember the last time was this invested in a woman, wait a minute I do and then Max happened and took her away. It was hard to believe it when Rachel told me. I remember it like it was yesterday.

I was still struggling to get the business going when she told me that she was tired of babysitting me and Alice, we were draining her energy and that she needed someone who was going to take care of her. I remember pleading and begging her to give me more time. I knew that she had been taking too much on her own and that is why I asked my boss to allow me to go to work with Alice. I wanted Rachel to have some type of relief but it turned out to not be enough. We always talked about our feelings openly and I appreciated the honesty. But it hurt so much when she declared that we were a burden to her.

"Rachel, what are you saying?", I asked knowing the answer already. "I have found someone and he loves me and wants to take care of me and Allison. You're still her Father but you won't be living with us. He is willing to allow us to co-parent so we can maybe work on a schedule on how things will work", she said avoiding my eyes. Alice was playing in her crib and I felt tears run down my eyes at the thought of not seeing my Princess again. Waking up and sleeping with her, helping her get dressed or feeding her. I was going to have to ask for permission to even see her. It was not fair. If I could only be sure that my proposal was going to be accepted by the bank this time then I could beg her to stay, but it would be selfish of me. I had to let her go and trust that she would not take Alice away from me. "Axel, I know this hurts but I have to think of myself for once in my life and I hope you can understand that. If you love me, you'll let me go. I swear on my life I will never come between you and Allison, never", she said now kneeling in front of me when I could not form any words. "Is this what you really want?", i asked just to be sure, one last time. "Yes Axel, this is what I want", "Ok then", I said and turned the other way wiping my tears and trying to compose myself before my Princess could see me. In the next hour, there was a knock on our door, she went to open it and I heard his voice. He had come to pick them up. "Hello Axel, my name is Maxwell", he offered his hand for me to shake right after Rachel took Alice to go change. I accepted his hand. He looked rich, exactly what Rachel wanted. "Hey man", "We're good?", he asked with a serious face. "What?", "I asked if the arrangement we have in place will be ok for you. I don't want my feelings for Rachel to interfere with the relationship you have with your daughter", he explained as if he was not taking a piece of me with him. "Yeah...yeah, it's ok, I will just have to talk to Rachel in advance before seeing Alice, I guess", I was not really sure what to say. Even though I was taller than him, I felt so small at this point. The power that he had was so easy to see. Rachel walked out of the house without looking at me or saying goodbye. I watched as Alice waved at me and I had to keep a brave face for her.

"Hey man! I've been calling you for hours, are you ok?", Blake said walking into my office like he owned the place as usual. I cleared my throat and ran my hand over my face just to bring myself back. "I know that look. X you need to let it go, she is not worth it besides you're way more of a billionaire than Madden will ever dream to be so, focus on that and Alice ok?", he said patting my shoulder as he went straight to the whiskey shelf. "I know man, I just wish things would be different it's all", "I know X but everything happens for a reason and you should focus on that instead", he said while pouring a drink for us. "You're right. What brings you here?", I asked accepting the glass from him. "I have a client that I need you to meet. They own a vineyard and they need your help in fitting in the food chain through Knox Produce International, so what do you say?", "Sure thing, when is the meet?", "Today at seven", "No, I have an arrangement at that time", "I know, it's gym time and I'm sure you can miss for a day considering you own the building", "I know but I have a meeting with someone at the gym that I can't post pond", that got his interest shifted. "Axel, who are you meeting? You have never said 'no' to any of my meetings, who is she?", "I didn't say it was a she", "And I haven't started being your friend yesterday... so spill it", he said sitting right in front of me. I forgot how Blake could be persistent. I turned to my watch and saw that it was almost six, if I left now I would have enough time to change and wait for her as I did the day before. "I have to go now", I said and stood up going to my mini closet that was in the office to pick up my gym bag. He maintained a cocky smile as he watched me walk out. "Nara, please make sure Blake locks the door after he's done", I walked away not waiting for her to answer. The traffic towards the gym was insane which is why it was one of the estates that brought me a lot of money. It was at the city center making it ideal for the working class and businesses to rent it for their employees. I released a breath when Anthony told me she was not there yet so I went straight to the lockers and got changed returning to the same spot to wait for my partner.