Chapter 21 - Angel

We've been at the saloon the whole day and now we're finally getting dressed, I hate playing dress up but I'm also happy that the lady listened to what I wanted, which was less makeup. I was wearing a red dress chosen by Alice, my designer for the event that we are escorting Axel to. "Oh god...Dad's going to freak out", she shouted the moment she entered my changing room. "How do I look?", I asked feeling nervous, the bra had my boobs almost bursting out and the dress was tight on my bootie but not soo much so I could still move comfortably, and let's not forget the slit that came mid-thigh. "You look amazing", she said coming to help me with the shoes. 

For someone as excited as Alice, I would have thought she would be dressed in a Cinderella dress but she was just wearing a simple but elegant red sparkling dress and she looked like an angel. "Dad's going to be here any minute, let's go", she said exiting the room. I followed her to the saloon reception area. Everyone kept complimenting me and it felt great. "Ladies are you...", Axel said trailing off when he entered the place but stopped when he saw me. "She looks good huh?", Alice elbowed her dad making the ladies in the reception area laugh. He cleared his throat as if he was back to reality, making me blush. He walked towards me, making me smile nervously. "You look amazing my love", the way he said it made me weak in the knees. "Thank you X, can we go now?", I said swallowing hard. He checked me out one last time and then linked my hand to his as we walked out.

The first time on the red carpet was surreal. I held on to Axel's arm because he took it in like a champ and Alice was even posing for the cameras. Oh my god! I kept on praying that not to trip over, it was terrifying. By the time I was in the event room, I got more relaxed. We went to the table that was reserved for us. 

"I thought my eyes were deceiving me", we heard Rachel's voice. She looked glamorous as usual with Maxwell who was walking like he owned the place. "Hi, Rachel. Can you step out of the way you are blocking my view", I said making her furrow her brows and step aside. "You do know these front tables are reserved right?", she said sitting right next to me and Maxwell on her right. I rolled my eyes turning towards her. "Yes Rachel we do, now can you at least try to act like you miss your daughter and tell her that she looks pretty?", I made sure to whisper the last part making her look next to Axel to see a sad-looking Alice. I raised one eyebrow as if waiting for her. "Oh, my is that you Alice? You look elegant tonight", she said with a fake smile but by the way, Alice's face lit up, I knew she didn't know it was fake. "Thank you Mother", she replied with a smile.

We spent an hour looking at different stage performances and it was finally awards time and Maxwell got the award for the best-performing company of the year. From what Alice told us he has been getting it for years so there was nothing new there. Then Mr. Lu walked to the stage. "Axel is that?", "Yes", he finished my sentence sitting straight as if he just saw his sensei. "Good evening ladies and gentlemen it is with great honour that we stand here to present these awards this evening", he said turning to the big screen that was suddenly displaying Knox Produce International from how it started. 

I saw a young Axel talking and laughing with farmers to where he was now. It showcased Axel having a formal meeting with the same farmers but both looking older and smarter in their suits. Then there were graphs of the shift in economic trends due to agriculture. "I'm personally working with this remarkable young man and it's very encouraging to see such a young generation operate without losing focus of what truly matters why we all work hard and that is...", he turned to the screen again where we saw Axel holding Alice's hand walking across the fields. The whole room was filled with 'aaawwws'. I felt Rachel stirring next to me but ignored her. It was Axel's moment and she was not going to ruin it. 

"He's currently the number one on the country's billionaire list and in the top ten of the worldwide billionaire list. We would like to present the Agriculture Game Changer Award and Economic Influencer of the Year Award to Axel Bane Knox", Mr.Lu announced and the whole conference room stood up clapping their hands including me and Alice as he kissed her forehead before heading to the stage. Rachel's eyes were like saucers, it was so funny to watch. 

He hugged Mr. Lu and then shook hands with the man that was next to him. "Thank you for the awards. Thank you to all who believed in me and never gave up on me. I would like to thank my daughter, Allison, for being there despite my crazy working hours and I'm dedicating these awards to her. And finally my girlfriend", he said making my heart beat faster. "Thank you for being there for me and my daughter. You've brought so much joy and happiness to both of us. I want you to know that we love you and appreciate you, thank you". He finished and walked backstage with Mr. Lu. I was still processing the fact that he just said that in front of everyone, no one has ever done that. It made me feel warm inside. I felt Alice's hand running up and down my back which made me smile at her.

"That was awesome Dad", Alice said hugging her father when he returned to the table. He pulled me towards his chest and kissed the crap out of me. I was about to pull him closer when someone cleared their throat. I pulled back thanking god that he had no lipstick on his face. We sat down finally ready to see who cleared their throat at us and yes it was Rachel. "You own Knox Produce? Why didn't you tell me!" She shouted. "You never asked Rachel, so stop embarrassing yourself", Axel said then turned to whisper something to Alice making her nod her head in excitement.