Chapter 23 - Angel

"Angel, I would like to apologize to you. It has come to my attention that the decisions that I've made over the years on behalf of my son led to a series of problems between you and him. I assure you that I didn't know the two of you were in a relationship when I told him to be with Kira. I guess I should have known that only a woman with true affection would never give up on him during his addiction phase and for that, I'm sorry. You're like a daughter to me and I need you to know that I would have never forced him into a relationship if I knew he was with you in that way", Mr. Monroe's words made me feel like I was paralyzed. 

I looked at Daren and his face was emotionless. "Mr. Monroe, I... that was a long time ago I can assure you, I don't hold any grudges against your son and I would never let my feelings affect my work", I had to say it knowing where the conversation was going. "I'm glad to hear that... now tell me what happened with Knox Produce", he said while pushing his laptop to the side leaning in to give me his undivided attention. 

"What do you mean?", I asked turning to Daren. "Ok then. Since you've forgotten, I'll jog your memory", Daren said with a wicked smile turning to his father. "Axel Knox is her boyfriend and she is using our past to block me from getting the deal if that's not a grudge, I don't know what is", he said with so much anger but all I heard was whining. "Is that true Angel?", his father asked. "No, it's not Sir. I didn't even know he owned the company until he walked into the meeting room and I was not about to make him breach an existing contract just because Daren is too desperate" I spat not looking away from Daren. "So you're telling me that my son made this up?" He asked looking at Daren. I hesitated because, even though I hated how Daren twisted things I was not about to come between him and his father. I was not that person. I released a breath.

"Mr. Monroe, I believe that all this is a misunderstanding. Daren assumed things from reading the situation", I said earning a nod from Mr. Monroe. "Daren, Knox Produce already has a construction company that has been with the business since they started. If you ask me, he's a loyal man so he won't budge just because you give him innovative ideas. The people he works with have deep connections with him. He won't give you the opportunity because he won't drop his existing suppliers for you", I told Daren hoping that he would finally stop pursuing Knox Produce. He was fuming, he stood up and walked out of his father's office making sure to slam the door shut on his way out. 

"You didn't have to defend him you know. I know he's impulsive", Mr. Monroe said with a smile. "I don't know what you mean", I said trying to avoid his eyes. He chuckled. "You're an amazing young woman Angel. Don't ever change my dear. You can go back to work now", he said making me stand up and walk out of his office still trying to understand how Daren could twist things just to push his agenda.

"What did he do?", Lily asked appearing to have caught up to me and Iris. "He has the guts to say that I knew Axel owned Knox Produce and I was using our relationship as payback to block his deal. Can you believe him?", I said frustrated. "Flowers for Miss Carwyn?", a delivery guy walked in with a bouquet of jasmines and there was only one person who bought me jasmines before. It made me smile. "Well, would you look at that, now I want a Knox", Iris said making Lily roll her eyes. I opened a note that was on the bouquet and it was written...

My Angel,

I saw the flowers and thought of you.

I miss you and I love you.

X.

I was busy daydreaming when the note was snatched from my hand by Iris. "Oh come on! Rub it on our faces now won't yaa!", she said after reading the note making me laugh. We went back to doing our separate tasks. By the time I was done, it was 8:15 pm. I went to the parking lot and drove home. I reached my apartment and finally checked my phone after dropping myself on the couch, I found three missed calls and that's when I remembered. I was so focused on work that I totally forgot about the gym. 

I called Axel right away. He answered on the third ring. "I'm so sorry X. I totally forgot", I said before he could say anything. He didn't answer instead he requested a video call. I answered not wanting to make him wait. He was at the cafe with Alice having dinner. "Oh my god I feel so bad right now", I said hiding my face with my free hand. "Did you just get back from work?", Alice asked making me peek through my fingers. Axel had a smile on his face, good, the coast was clear. "Yes. I had so much work today. I didn't notice how time flew away, by the time I was done it was 8 and I just rushed home. I'm sorry partner, can you forgive me?", I said batting my eyelashes at Axel who didn't seem interested. I almost felt bad but then he winked at me making me giggle. "You guys are so weird", Alice said finishing her soda. "Wait till you fall in love, you'll understand how weird we are", Axel told his daughter then looked at me one last time before hanging up.

I soaked myself in a bubble bath allowing my eyes to close as I enjoyed the feeling of the warm water soothing me. I thought about life and how everything turned upside down the moment I started dating Axel. He was different and mature. I believe being a parent contributed a lot to his character. He is amazing and I think I want to introduce him to my parents. I know they're not expecting me to jump into a relationship so soon so I want to talk to them first and if there is no hesitation, I will invite Alice and Axel to our home for the holidays. I hope they won't chase him away with interrogative questions.