[ Chapter 90 : We Protect You ]

Start from the beginning

" They must've heard about the news already and came to check " I said.

" I'll go " Laurence said.

" No it's okay, we'll go " I sit up and he already got off the bed before me.

He turns and bend down with his hand on the bed and lean towards me for a quick peck on the lips, it was abrupt that I felt my cheeks warm up.

" You stay here, I'll go talk to them "

I sigh to see how determine he looks and I just sigh.

" Okay "

~ Time Skip ~

" Miss?, Miss "

I felt a shake on my arm and I hum in response.

" It's happening again "

I open my eyes to the name and I already hear the sound of my baby crying so I get up.

" Where is she?! " I turn around and see Annette holding Esmé who's crying.

She pass her to me and I hold her.

" How long has it been? " I look up at her.

" You've only slept for an hour "

" Get Laurence " I said and she curtsy before rushing out.

I rub my eyes from the tiredness and lie down Esmé on the bed.

" It's okay, Esmé " I asked as I unwrap her blanket.

My eyes start to water where I see the prick patterns are forming across her chest to her other arm one by one. I grab the towel we prepared and clean off the blood.

" Your strong Esmé, you can do it " I bite my bottom lip to keep myself from crying.

I just watch as more circular welts form on her skin and blood oozing out. Whoever is doing this is taking their sweet time with it and making Esmé suffer.

" I know your in pain and scared baby, but it'll be over soon, mommy and daddy promise to protect. . .you " my voice cracked and I pick her up as she cries.

I look up at the door where it opens and Laurence rushes in.

" It's happening again " I said and he goes around the bed to me.

I see anger is just boiling up in him as he see the blood and he gently use the towel.

" Malia is here " he said, I turn my head to him.

" Why? " I asked.

" She's one of the people who held Esmé today, she came here to talk to you " he said.

I shake my head.

" I'm not leaving Esmé, no one is touching her other than us " I said.

" I know, but she just wants to talk that's all " he said.

I look at Esmé then back at him.

" After Esmé's done suffering and when she's asleep " I said and he nods.

" Annette, tell them to wait " Laurence said.

" You want them to wait in the parlor?, It could be hours " she said.

" Then prepare the guest bedrooms for them, now please leave " I walk away as I keep comforting Esmé as she cries.

" Go " I hear Laurence said and the door shut.

" Shhhh " I coo Esmé and use the towel to wipe some of the blood off.

I keep seeing how the needle pricks made on her arm are very slow and the welts form before another prick was made.

" Baby " I rub her back and she looks at me crying and it pains me to not being able to do anything about it.

I know what your thinking, use magic that numbs the pain, magic itself is harmful for babies. The only appropriate age for them to start practicing is when they're above five years old, if we do a spell on her it could kill her. I use my sleeve to wipe her tears and I sing softly to calm her down and I notice Laurence approaching me, he doesn't say anything and kiss my temple with his hand around my shoulder and caress it, his other hand on Esmé to comfort her as well.

" Any news from your mother? " I asked.

" The search is still going but so far nothing, as far as I know the one's who held Esmé is being interrogated " he said.

I look up at him as I sniffle, I couldn't hold it when Esmé screamed and I lean against him while he hold us both, tears stream down my face and I try to calm myself down, silencing myself to not make it worse for Esmé.

~ Time Skip ~

" It's called a blood infusion ritual " Amelia lay out the paper on the table and my blood boils as I look at the drawings made and instruction of the ritual.

" First they make the body patterns with the blood of the victim on a doll, using needles to poke and hours of process, second is the ritual where you have to make a pentagram out of salt and candles all around " Amelia points.

I look at the picture and it is drawn as she elaborated.

" The victim and the host will be the only one in the circle while the incantation is being chanted " Amelia said.

" That's not something you want to see " Laurence points on the drawing where one person holds a knife while the other is lying down ready to be killed.

" Last step is kill the victim and drink a full cup of their blood from chalice, also known as the Cup of Infernal Libation "

" Cup of libititty-what? " I asked.

" It's used for dark arts and forged by the witch who made this ritual " she said.

I stood here as shivers went down my spine and look over to our daughter sleeping on our bed peacefully after two hours of crying and wounds already treated, Amelia arrived just an hour after.

" To get hands on that cup is impossible because it was lost in time " I look back around.

" It was found, then it's stolen, no one knows where it is or heard of it over six decades " Amelia said.

" So Esmé is going to be fine? " I asked and they look at me.

" They can't do it without the chalice since it's lost right? " I asked.

" The ritual is to be done in 24 hours, if someone has started this ritual it will be done by then and it's possible the cup is in their possession " Amelia said.

" It's been seven hours since it started, we have less time than we have " Laurence said and walk away about to punch the mirror but I see he's trying to keep quiet for Esmé.

" Son, I know your frustrated but we're doing everything we can, I have some of my old friends to help with this " Amelia said.

" Best chances are we delay the person until 24 hours passes and the ritual is broken "

Laurence exhale and turns back around to us.

" Sorry " he said then rub my back.

" Y/n, I promise you we will end this " Amelia approaches me.

" I trust you " I said and she nods with a reassuring smile.

" But I will kill the one behind this " I said, she furrow her eyebrows and hesitantly chuckle.

" Let's not go there, we should let the court handle the perpetrator, since it's black arts there will be solid evidence for a proper sentence " she said.

" Then they should've think twice before making me their enemy "

Thank God this chapter was improvised a little bit with the help of a friend, but hope y'all enjoyed it, huehue.

Bye!

ฅ'ω'ฅ

~ Mariko