66. Goodbye Old Friend

A/N: the end of the 2021 season is here. There will be no controversial ending in this story.

The fireworks exploded in the night sky above Yas Marina circuit. The 2021 season had ended and a new world champion had been crowned. After four successive titles, seven in total, Lewis Hamilton had been dethroned. Max Verstappen was the new champion.

Seb applauded from the back of his garage, his race having ended with brake failure twelve laps from the end. He was applauding for Max and for Red Bull, his old team, but he was also applauding Lily, who had just finished her historic season on the podium in third place.

She had finished in fourth place in the championship, ahead of a Red Bull, a Mercedes, and an enormous seventy two points ahead of her own teammate.

Lily Scott had finally arrived in Formula 1. She'd shown just what she was capable of, and she had to be a contender to be a future world champion.

He was so proud of her. She'd faced so many negative comments and attitudes, and she'd just shown them all.

"Hey Seb." He turned around and saw his teammate Lance stood behind him. He too had failed to finish the race due to a mechanical failure.

The young Canadian held his hand out. They hadn't been on the best of terms since Lance had caused Lily's accident in Russia but Seb knew his heart was in the right place. He shook his hand.

"Great season," Lance said. "Hopefully we can build on that next year."

"For sure. You going to Kimi's leaving party tonight?

"Yeah wouldn't miss it."

"I'll see you there." He turned and headed out of the garage, and over towards the podium. He needed to see Lily.

As she walked out and took her place on the third step she looked down and they made eye contact. She smiled and his heart began to race. Was she going to be at Kimi's party?
Part of him hoped so, the other part wondered how he'd be able to cope being so close to her.

After the anthems had been played and the trophies handed out Seb slipped away, heading to the media pen. The sooner he got that out the way the better. Then he'd debrief before starting his winter break.