80. Plenty To Celebrate

Lily snorted with laughter at the look on her teammate's face as he swallowed the champagne out of his boot

Lily snorted with laughter at the look on her teammate's face as he swallowed the champagne out of his boot. He looked disgusted!  

Daniel was bent over howling with laughter, delighted that another driver had been talked into doing a shoey. 

"You are a sick man Ricciardo," she told him.  He grinned at her and threw his arm around her shoulder. 

"And you are a chicken Lilyflower."

"Nope.  I did it once, and that was enough."

"Strangely enough, that's what everyone says."

Lily lifted her champagne bottle to her mouth and took a long swig.   

Today was her birthday and she'd just had the best present.  She'd won the British Grand Prix.  

She'd started on pole, with Charles alongside her.  The race had been anything but straight forward with a red flag and two safety cars, but eventually she'd taken the chequered flag, and with Max only finishing in seventh she'd extended her championship lead to twenty one points. 

"I tell you something," Daniel said as they made their way off of the podium.  "It was a relief to see Damon walk away from that.  Can't stand the bastard, but wouldn't want anything to happen to him."  Lily nodded. 

She'd been terrified waiting to hear news of Damon during the red flag.   He'd crashed heavily at the start after contact with George.  His car had rolled and travelled at high speed across the gravel trap at Abbey.   Then after it had hit the fence it had flipped over the top and got stuck between two safety fences. 

She had no love for her good for nothing brother, but it hadn't been nice knowing one of her fellow drivers might have been seriously hurt.   It had all worked out in the end though. After a trip to the medical centre Damon had been discharged and had been back in the paddock before the race had finished.

"You still coming later?" she asked Daniel as they reached the press conference room.

"Of course, wouldn't miss it for the world." Lily grinned at him. Later that evening most of the grid were coming to the Scott mansion for a barbecue to celebrate hers and Seb's birthdays, and also Daniel's which had been just two days earlier. Now she'd be celebrating a win too.

She was looking forward to it. She'd been under immense pressure since Canada, waiting for Ferrari to receive the photograph, but nothing had happened.

The last few days staying in her old room with Seb had been bliss. They'd even broken their unspoken rule and indulged in race morning sex earlier. Well, it was their birthdays after all.

She felt more relaxed now, although she hadn't let her guard down.  She couldn't afford to.    She knew that the photo would be sent eventually, but for now they just had to carry on as normal. If she kept winning, and stayed leading the championship they'd be silly to drop her, right?