125. Still Written In The Stars?

"Welcome to Yas Marina on qualifying day for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. The last race of the season is upon us, and for the first time since 2010 we have a four way battle for the championship,"came David Croft's voice through the television speakers in Aston Martin hospitality.

"Will it be fan favourite, and bookies favourite, Daniel Ricciardo? Will it be the reigning double world champion Max Verstappen?   Will it be il predestinato, Charles Leclerc? Or will history be made by Lily Scott?  One thing's for sure, this year's Abu Dhabi Grand Prix has the potential to be an all time classic.   Karun, what do you think?"

"I think it has to be Max Verstappen, he's a double world champion, he's cool under pressure.  My money's on Max to make it three in a row."

"Surely the advantage is with Ricciardo?  He's twelve points ahead of Lily Scott, thirteen ahead of Max.   Surely it's his to lose?"

"Yes, but I feel the story of this championship has yet another twist in the tale."

"I think it's Daniel's year" Crofty replied.   "Naomi?"

"I'd like to say Charles, Ferrari are due a championship, but I think he's too far behind.  He'd need all three of his rivals to suffer some bad luck.   I can't see anyone but Daniel winning to be honest.   Or Max.  As Karun said, he's a double world champion."

"Damon?"  Damon Hill ran his hand over his short beard and then grinned.

"I think it's going to be Lily Scott."   The other three started to laugh awkwardly.  "Why are you laughing?  She's in second place, so in theory she has a better chance than Max.   She's a Formula 2 champion.  She's won twelve Grand Prix. Six for Ferrari, six for Aston Martin.   She has champion blood running through her veins.   Why are you discounting her?  Is it because she's female?"

"I just think the Red Bull drivers have more experience than she does.  She's had a one hell of a year off track, the pressure must be getting to her," Karun said.

"But she has an amazing support network," Damon continued.   "She has a four time world champion by her side, her brother is her race engineer.  She has Britta Roeske to help her deal with any off track stuff."

"I still think when it comes to it she won't be mentally strong enough," Karun argued.  

"I hope she does it," Naomi added. "It would be fantastic to see a woman win the title. Lily has already proved she can beat the best of them, but I think Daniel is just too far out of reach."

"But you said it could be Max?" Damon said accusingly. "Lily is closer to Daniel than he is."

"But Max doesn't have as much pressure on his shoulders."

"Well, I'm sure whoever wins will be a worthy champion.   What about you Ted? What do you think?"

Lily wasn't interested in what Ted thought.  She picked up the remote control and switched the television off.  

She wasn't surprised by the commentator's predictions.   She'd always known that they didn't think she could win the title.  Damon Hill had surprised her though.  It felt good that at least one of them believed in her. 

The weekend had got off to an ok start the day before.  She'd finished third in both of the Friday practice sessions.   Daniel had topped the timesheet in FP1, Max had been second, and they'd switched places in FP2.  Charles had had a nightmare day, finishing P10 in FP1 and P9 in FP2. 

Soon it would be FP3, then qualifying.  Qualifying would be vital.  She had to do well or the championship would be as good as over. 

Then the following morning she, Daniel, Max and Charles would be meeting up for breakfast together with their partners.  Daniel had organised it, thinking it would be a good idea.  Lily wasn't so sure but she'd agreed anyway.