108. The Next Generation

Lily ducked as a screwed up ball of paper came flying towards her head, snorting with laughter as she heard the surprised squawk coming from Max as it hit him on the side of his face.

She glanced past Pierre and Yuki towards the one responsible for the paper missile. Lando Norris was sat with a cheeky, mischievous grin on his face.  They made eye contact and then they were both howling with laughter, much to all the journalist's amusement. 

Lily ducked again as another paper bomb came flying at her. She tore a piece off of the pad in front of her, screwed it up and lobbed it back at Lando.

Max rolled his eyes. "Bloody children," he muttered, even though Lando was one of his best friends on the grid. He was in a foul mood after an altercation with his father at breakfast. Jos had been ridiculing him for being behind a girl in the championship.   He was even more determined now to wipe the floor with Lily Scott every chance he got. 

It wasn't that he disliked her, she was a nice girl away from racing, but he couldn't let her beat him.   His dad would never let him hear the end of it. 

Pierre ducked as the paper bombs carried on flying back and forth between Lando and Lily while they waited for the press conference to begin. Yuki didn't have to duck, the paper bombs just flew over the top of his head. 

"Can you guys just grow up?" Max asked. Lily looked at him and rolled her eyes.  Then she casually lobbed the ball of paper in her hand straight at Max's face.  It bounced off of his forehead and landed on the table before him. 

He picked it up and was about to throw it back at Lily when he caught sight of his father sat at the back of the room.   Scowling, he stopped dropped it back onto the table. 

"Oh come on Max," Lily said.  "Don't you know how to have fun?"

"Oh I do," he said.  "But away from the track.  On a race weekend I am fully focussed on the job I am here to do.  That's why I will win the championship Lily, and you won't.  You're too busy pissing around with Lando."

"Woah, chill out man," Lily muttered.  She screwed another piece of paper up and threw it at Pierre.

"Oh you are not  starting on me are you Lily?" he said, raising his eyebrows.   "Because if you are, that means I will have to get you back."

He began to make his own paper bombs while Yuki sat snickering besides him.  Lando had moved on to lobbing them at some of the journalists.  

The usual pink haired woman made her way along the line, handing out microphones.  

The host, Tom, arrived, greeting them cheerfully.

"Hey guys, and lady of course."

"That's not a lady, that's Lily," Lando said.  Lily lobbed another paper bomb in his direction, totally missing him.  

"Now, now children," Tom said, trying not to laugh.   "We need to get this underway.   This is your thirty second warning."

Pierre quickly picked up his handful of paper bombs and began pelting Lily with them.  

"Mr Gasly please!" begged the pink haired woman. 

Suddenly, a movement at the back of the room caught their attention.  Pierre's stand in press officer, Scarlett, stood up and began to make her way to the front of the room.   She gestured to Pierre. 

"I'm sorry Miss, we are about to start," began the pink haired woman.  

"This cannot wait.  I need a word with Pierre immediately."