78. Back To Back

"Girl, you are insane!" came Joel's voice in Lily's ear.

"Don't start counting chickens," she replied to her brother. "There's still two laps to go."

She refused to let herself relax until she'd taken the chequered flag. Until that had happened anything could happen!

"Gap to Vettel, eight point one."

"Where are the Bulls?" she asked, her brain trying to calculate what the championship standings would be like if the race finished as it was. She was the only Ferrari in the race as Charles had retired after nineteen laps with brake failure.

"Ricciardo P3, Verstappen is out of the points. He had a puncture and dropped to thirteenth."

"Ricciardo. That damn Aussie better not think I'm doing a shoey again." She heard Joel laugh.

"One lap to go. Get your head down sis. You've got this."

And she did! Lily crossed the line to win the Azerbaijan Grand Prix, her second win in a row, her third altogether.

"Atta girl!" Joel shouted down the radio. "And by my calculations you are now leading the championship by eight points! And Ferrari are leading by a point!"

Leading both championships?  Lily couldn't believe it! It seemed like Lady Luck had been on her side that weekend. She'd qualified in third, then got promoted to second after Max had received a grid penalty for impeding Seb. Then Charles had had to retire from the lead. Not good from the team's perspective but from her own perspective it was just perfect.

She climbed out of the car in Parc Fermé and ran to her crew. To her surprise, Charles was waiting with them to congratulate her. He seemed genuinely happy even though she'd leapfrogged him in the championship. She began to feel a little guilty about profiting from his misfortune.

"You're getting greedy now Scott!" Daniel said, scooping her off of her feet. She squealed as he spun her around.

They headed over to get weighed. Seb beat them there. He'd already been weighed and had taken his helmet off.

Lily hopped on the scales, then stood off them and began to take her helmet off.

"Well done Lily," Lando said as he passed.

A couple of the other drivers congratulated her as they passed. The exception was Damon. He just glared at her murderously.

"You're making winning look easy," Seb said as they stood next to each as Daniel gave the first interview. "I'd love to be able to congratulate you properly."

"Shhh," Lily hissed. "Later."

Seb laughed. "You better believe it."

As Daniel walked back over towards them, Seb headed for his turn.

"You know what this means Lilyflower?"

"No Daniel. I am not doing another shoey. No way."

"Ah come on. You love it. You're half Aussie, it's in your DNA to do a shoey."

"Well my British half says bugger off."

Daniel threw his head back and laughed loudly.

After Seb had given his interview it was Lily's turn.   Then the three of them headed to the podium.  Daniel leant close to Seb and began to speak quietly.  

"Please don't keep me awake all night celebrating," he said.  Seb laughed.    He'd forgotten that Daniel was in the room next to Lily.    They'd been sleeping in her room as his room was next door to Damon's.