Chapter 17

You watch the snow speeders trying to disrupt the Walkers, on the holo-display.

Other than doing some Jedi Battle Meditation for those in the war room, there's not much you can do. Even though it's been three years, you still aren't strong enough to have that far a range.

I should be stronger than this, You think, closing your eyes and reaching out with the Force, like how you did in the Yavin 4 war room. I've been training for three almost four years. I should be trying to bring down Vader. Instead, I'm stuck here.

You feel frustration bubble up inside you.

Yes, I did calm the Wampa, but what's beast calming as compared to fighting a Sith Lord in the Battle Meditation arena? I've been using that Datapad every day! I even synched it with the ship's main computer. Why am I not stronger?!

"Your Highness, I would suggest we retreat now." A Rebel Officer says.

"Not yet. We still need to give the cargo ships time to evacuate," Leia says. She lightly touches your arm. "Are you alright?" She asks concern permeating her voice.

"I'm fine," You say trying to dismiss her. "Why do you ask?"

"Because of the feeling in the room. It's already tense, but it's getting worse. Maybe you should take a break."

"I'm fine!" You say, reeling in your emotions at the last moment, so you don't snap at her. "Princess I can handle this."

"Alright then. But I won't tolerate insubordination out of either you nor Han."

"Yes ma'am."

I have got to calm down. I've gotta. You think, taking a deep breath and slowly exhaling. 

The Rebel ground forces are barely able to hold the Imperial Walkers at bay.

You watch the devastation unfold on the holo-display.

The speeders were plucked out of the air by enemy fire. The forces that sheltered in snow trenches and manned laser turrets are also taking heavy losses.

You feel all of this through the Force. Unlike the battle of Yavin 4, where you felt that the Force was with the Rebels. You feel wave after wave of the pain of each life lost.

Deep breaths. Deep breaths. You tell yourself. The Force is with us...right? But you feel like you're lying to yourself.

"The armor is too thick for our blasters!" Luke exclaims over the comm.

The war room shakes.

You grab the closest counter so you don't fall down.

"I'm not sure we can protect two transports at a time, princess."

"It's risky General Rieekan, but our holding action is faltering," Leia replies, then she orders, "Proceed with accelerated departures, and begin clearing the remaining ground staff."

You tap on your wrist computer. "R7, get The Phoenix ready to take off, but leave her on idle."

"Loud and clear!" The droid replies.

"I'm still flying Rogue Group...but they got Dack! Use your harpoons and tow cables! Go for their legs! It's our only hope of stopping them!" Luke says.

"Read you clear Rogue Leader. This is Rogue Three, going in!" Wedge Antellies replies.

"Activate Harpoon! Fire Cable! Cable Away!"

You watch as the tow cables wind around the Walker's legs. Once the speeders disconnect the cable, the Walker crashes down.

Thank the stars for Galen Erso. You think, remembering how low to the ground the Walkers were built during the Clone Wars. If the Rebels were having to outmaneuver them, this would be a whole 'nother battle.