Chapter 15

"Blast, it's cold!" You hiss, pulling your parka close to block out the wind.

It's been several months since the Battle of Yavin 4, during that time the Rebels had to abandon the base and go on the run. During the evacuations, your ship was packed to the proverbial gills with troops and equipment.

Now you're on a frozen wasteland of a planet, the ice world of Hoth.

Han and Luke have been gone for several hours on patrol. They set off back around noon on Tauntauns.

You decided to stay back at Echo Base and do some matience on your new Astromech Droid R7. It's a prototype, that you found during a skirmish with the Empire. After the Rebellion looked at it and decided it wasn't a security risk, you bought it from them, using your paycheck you get from them.

You were also told the droid is male.

"Hey R7, wakey wakey eggs and bakey." You say, lightly rapping a gloved hand on the droid's domed head.

You hear the faint whir of the servomotors turning on.

"I know it's cold. But I'm up next to explore the ice tunnels, and I don't wanna go alone."

This is true, not all of the connected ice tunnels had been surveyed when the base was being set up. For all anybody knew there could be a pack of Wampas roaming around.

Well in Shadows of the Empire there were Wampas on the Echo Base level.  You think, but push the thought away.

"Oh! Before I forget," You say, tapping on your wrist computer. "Let's see if that vocabulator works."

A new item shows up on the screen's menu. You can now select how the voice sounds. "Let's see...is there a celebrity from Earth?"

You click through and click your favorite celebrity.

"It's almost too cold to keep my processors running at optimal levels." R7 says.

The vocabulator works fine.

You go through another settings menu and turn on the function that will show text on the screen. It is also wirelessly connected to your Comlink. This is all in the event you and he are ever separated.

***

You and R7 make your way to the opening of the unexplored tunnels. The only way you can tell is there's a severe lack of Rebellion personnel.

"I am going to keep running radar scans until we get back to our quarters." R7 informs you.

"Please do that," You reply, watching the steam dissipate as you speak. "Is it just me or is it getting colder?"

"My sensors indicate a drop in air temperature."

"It is getting colder...wait a minute. Has Luke and Han made it back to the base?"

"Not to my knowledge."

"They'll be ok. It'll work out," You say, silently adding on I hope.

***

Exploring the tunnels is relatively uneventful. Perhaps any Wampas we're scared off hearing you and R7 talking?

Even though you know they're there, you didn't see anything or any signs of them.

You're walking back to report in when you hear Han and Leia arguing and coming toward you.

"-I would just as soon kiss a Wookiee!" Leia snaps.

I love those two. But seriously, they could bicker over anything. You think, crossing your arms in front of you. You decide to wait out meditating this argument.