Chapter 12

"Woah." You breathe seeing the gas giant of Yavin when the ship drops out of Hyperspace.  If you thought it looked big on your home entertainment system back home, it doesn't do the real planet any justice.

You see Rebel watch towers as you skim the planter's surface, looking for the exact  Massassi temple to land at.

If all works out, this place will be a Jedi Temple. You think, remembering The Young Jedi Knights series, which unfortunately weren't considered part of the main canon of the Expanded Universe, even though they were good books.

I wonder which story this will follow? The original with Jacen, Jiana, and Anakin Solo? Or will it go with Ben Solo, and we get the rise of Kylo Ren? I want to see how this plays out.

"Mellinumn Falcon, you are cleared for landing, you may proceed" comes the voice of Ground Control over the ship's comm unit.

***

When the ship touches down at the Temple you stop yourself from staring at the sheer size of it. That's bigger than anything back home. You think, imagining how many types of Earth pyramids could fit in it. No wonder the trainees would always be tired after climbing to the roof.

When you descend the ship's ramp, you're hit with the high humidity and the realization that the whole planet is covered with life.

You can sense wildlife,  just past the landing pad. Most of them ignore the base, while the others give it a look of mild curiosity, then carry on about their lives.

You're not afraid or anything, just aware of their presence.

You follow Leia and the others into the temple.

You're met by an older Rebel Officer.  "You're safe! When we heard about Alderaan, we feared the worst."

That explains it. It was safe to assume nobody was coming. That's one of the reasons she sent the plans to Ben. You think.

"We have no time for sorrows, Commander. You must use the information in this R2 unit to help plan the attack. It's our only hope." Leia explains.

***

During the briefing, you stand in the back leaning against the wall.

"The Death Star is heavily shielded and carries a firepower greater than half a starfleet." General Dodanna explains, as blueprints appear on the display screen behind him, and continue to change with each point he makes.

Understatement of the decade. You think, fighting back a shiver at the memory of what you felt from Alderaan.

"Its defenses are designed around a direct, large assault. A small one-man fighter should be able to penetrate the outer defenses."

"Pardon me for asking, sir. But what good are snub-nosed fighters going to be against that?" A pilot in the audience asks.

The same way the Rakghoul plague, could ravage Taris. I'll be it, the planet had other problems, but the plague certainly made it worse. You think, remembering the Knights of the Old Republic videogame.

"Well, the Empire doesn't consider a small, one-man fighter to have any threat, or they'd have a tighter defense." The general explains.

Thank the stars for that.

"An analysis of the plans provided by Princess Leia has demonstrated a weakness in the battle station. The approach will not be easy. You are required to maneuver straight down this trench and skim the surface to this point."