o r p h i c

"Since they're leaving for a while, I have no choice but to take you home with me

"Since they're leaving for a while, I have no choice but to take you home with me." Conrad told me the next day while we were having dinner.

"What?" I asked shocked, looking between him and Adeline.

"I can't just... go! I have a life here now. I have college, I have my studies, everything. I just got settled!" I said exasperated when Conrad sighed heavily.

"I know, Har. It doesn't soundthat good, but I can't leave you here alone, and we both know why." He stated and I shook my head.

"But I can't leave." I whispered to myself, slumping back in my chair.

"Conrad, she's right. She has a life here now. Maybe there's something else we could do?" Adeline tried reasoning with him while my brother looked at me deep in thought.

"I had an idea, previously, but I dismissed it because I knew you wouldn't like it." He said and I leaned forward.

"Does it allow me to stay here?" I asked and he nodded albeit hesitantly.

"It does, but like I said, you won't really lik-"

"Tell me." I urged, hearing him sigh.

"You have to stay with a friend of mine." He said and I frowned.

"Who?"

"Sebastian Knight." He said and my eyes widened.

"What?!" I shrieked, my fork dropping out of my hand and clattering in my plate.

"Sebastian Knight? My professor, Sebastian Knight? Your friend and now business partner, Sebastian Knight?' I asked completely shocked when he nodded slowly, judging my reactions closely.

"Yes, that Sebastian Knight. That way, I'll know you're safe." He said, making me frown.

"Can't I stay with someone else? Sawyer, maybe?" I pleaded but he shook his head.

"Sawyer doesn't live here most of the time, Sebastian does. And I don't know anybody else or trust anyone to keep you safe." He said.

"But he's my professor!" I tried to reason.

"I know that."

"Then you know I can't live with him, and for a few months! What are you thinking! That man is orphic!" I threw my hands in the air.

"Orphic?" He asked confused.

"Orphic, beyond ordinary understanding." I said when he narrowed his eyes at me and Addy raised her brows, while I pursed my lips because I didn't tell him the full meaning of the word.

Mysterious and entrancing, beyond ordinary understanding.

But he doesn't need to know that.