b r u m o u s

Brumous – Stormy. Of grey skies and winter days.

* * *

"I'm so tired!" Zara whined, falling onto the couch in the living room of our house while I placed the books neatly into the bookshelves

"Who isn't? You want to eat something?" I asked, not bothering to look her way when I heard her hum.

"Hey guys, you heard of the new teacher?" Logan walked out of his bedroom, scrolling on his phone when I turned around to face him, glancing at Zara's confused face briefly.

"No? What teacher?" She sat up, both of us looking expectantly at him when he shrugged.

"For business. Mr. Whittaker retired this year." He sat down next to Zara when I frowned.

"Oh. I didn't know that. Hopefully the new teacher's as good as him." I said, turning back to my bookshelves, deep in thought.

"Do you know anything about him?" Zara asked Logan.

"Just that he's a famous businessman, owns a few businesses, and decided to teach for a while." He answered and I felt a little better than the teacher knew the subject.

"That's good... right?" Zara said and I hummed.

"Oh, you guys wanna go to this café near college?" Logan suddenly stood up.

"I'm hungry, so why not." Zara stood up and both siblings looked at me expectantly.

"Sure, I've got nothing better to do anyway. Just give me a minute." I answered and threw on a cardigan over my clothes from this morning and combed through my hair to make it neater.

I added some lip balm before going out and putting on my Vans, grabbed the keys from the kitchen counter, and turned off the lights before following my friends into Logan's car.

We arrived at the café in five minutes or so and I smiled at the cosy-looking place.

I'll definitely be coming here every day.

"This place is so cute!" Zara said from beside me, hooking her arm through mine and my other one through Logan's as all three of us trotted inside.

I looked around the small couches placed in the corners with tables in front of them and in other places where there were tables with chairs alongside them.

"What do you guys want?" Logan took out his wallet while both me and Zara scanned the menu with utmost concentration, our eyes narrowed at it as if we were deciding who we'd be murdering today.

"I think I'll have the mocha frappe and the fudge brownie," Zara told the person at the counter who nodded and turned to me, a smile on his face that only grew wider as he scanned me.

"And for you?" He asked while Zara gave me a knowing look and sauntered off towards a table. I shook my head at her with a smile as I stepped up to give my order.