6

Leah poked her head just barely around the corner of the door that she was holding ajar waiting for my response. Do I pretend to be asleep? Do I have a chat with her? What more needs to be said after earlier?

Nervous and anxious about what this conversation this could lead to, I remained still and pretending to be asleep letting out a few subtle snores to make it more believable.

Leah- Bels are you awake?

I continued the charade still contemplating whether to pretend wake up and stir because what if something is wrong?

I thought Leah would have just shut the door and gone to bed but in fact she did the complete opposite. She walked over cautiously making sure she was silent so that she wouldn't wake me up and she began speaking and let's just say I was not prepared for what I was about to hear.

Leah- So I'm kind of glad that you're asleep because I know I would've bottled this by now if you weren't. I know you can't hear me because you're sleeping but I need to get it off my chest.

She was making me nervous to the point that I just wanted to wake up and tell her that it's late and we'll speak tomorrow but I already used that card last night so I'm going to brave this one. She carried on speaking.

Leah- I know we had that whole chat today and I understand that you love Lucy and if she makes you happy then I am so happy for you. But I wish it could be different Bels, I wish that I could be the reason you smile everyday the way you are the reason that I'm always smiling. You've made me into a better person and I'll forever be waiting for the day that I get a chance to show you that sometimes fairytales do exist.

My heart was melting the more she continued. In another life she would be perfect for me. But if I was that important to her surely she would have fought for me 6 months ago. When she had the chance to prove what she felt. Thoughts were circling my head like a whirlwind. My heart dropped as I slowly heard her stumble out of the room and close the door up. I wish I could have turned around and told her the truth. That she had her chance and she shouldn't be regretting it now she knows I'm here for long term and she knows I am with Lucy.

With the thoughts draining the life out of me, I slowly drifted off to sleep.

The next few days were very busy, training in the mornings and gym in the afternoon preparing for the game on Sunday which would be against Aston Villa. This was a big game for Arsenal. Leah is worried because Jordan will be there, I'm just excited to get some more minutes under my belt and show the fans why Jonas has faith in me.  Besides Sarina would be calling people up for the Arnold Clark Cup camp in the next few days so a big impression is needed.

The morning of the game was tense. Beth was in an upbeat mood as usual, bouncing around the kitchen making breakfast with her music on. Katie was in the zone from the second she woke up, barely making any expressions. Constant thought spread across her face all morning. Leah on the other hand was the complete opposite. She looked as though she was on the verge of a breakdown anytime the game was mentioned or getting ready to leave was mentioned.

Arriving at the ground was an adrenaline rush. Everyone wants to win and everyone wants to prove their worth to the management team and the fans that we're watching from home and from the stands.

Kick off:
The game started, Jonas was planning for me to be his super sub which I liked the idea of. To come on and make an impression could be my best bet with Sarina.
33 minutes: Viv scores 1-0

Half time came around and I could see the stress in Leah's eyes. It was showing in her performance and I'm unsure who else has noticed. I saw her go towards the toilets and decided to follow her.

Standing by the sink, I didn't announce she had to come out and speak. I simply just said "Le keep your head up. You're the better player. I believe in you and I'm proud" and then turned around and walked back to Jonas and the rest of the team. When Leah rejoined the group, I caught her eyes and she simply mouthed "thank you" and then began her warm up routine for the second half.

The difference in her performance could be noticed from the second the whistle sounded and she was finally playing with a smile on her face.

67th minute and I was on the pitch. This was my shot and Jonas had warned me before I went on that Sarina was actually in the crowd.

81st minute: Katie ran down the wing with speed I have never seen from her before but she was outnumbered. She switched the ball back to Leah who had creeped into midfield. One of the defenders ran into me and by the time I got back to my feet I could see Leah on the floor and Jordan towering her. I ran over, checking Leah was okay before any emotion took over. Thankfully there were no injuries and Leah managed to continue. Because of the foul she was awarded a free kick from 24 yards and she insisted that I take it.

I was shaking, the pressure of Leah relying on me and believing in me and the pressure of Sarina watching from the stands and just to get a goal for this team was eating me up. It's now or never. I took a deep breath and a few steps back and struck the ball. In my head I imagined I was in the World Cup final and this was the last chance.

I couldn't even watch as the ball travelled. I turned to look at Lotte to wait for her reaction. Within moments the whole stadium was on their feet screaming. I had done it. I had done it. Scored. For Arsenal. For Leah's free kick. For Sarina to watch.

What could possibly go wrong?

Authors notes:
I am so happy to see you guys are enjoying the chapters. I have moved house today but will still be pushing to release one chapter AT LEAST per day. Keep the comments flowing with opinions and ideas so I can keep tailoring the story for your satisfaction.
Any ideas you guys have you can message me them, or leave it in the comments and I will read and respond as soon as I can.
Thank you for all the support :)