Number five or one? | Hailee Steinfeld | First meeting

author's note: it's official, me and Hailee are married, the rumors were true. Jkjk, but I do love her to death. And I adore the relationship she has with her brother ^^

SunKissing is out now! Go stream it!

You had an important competition coming up

You had an important competition coming up. You were going to compete in the NASCAR Cup Series. It wasn't a surprise that at any given moment, you'd practice. As the rookie you wanted to show the world that you belonged on the tracks. That you weren't just some one hit wonder.

You were here to stay.

At the day of the competition everything was a blur. The people screaming in anticipation, your coach and team going over the days strategies, all went into one ear and out the other. All you could focus on was your breathing. On the tracks you felt like you were flying. You were free. The sole focus and determination was still present, but god, did you love soaring through the lanes of the course.

In the end, you ended up in fifth place. And you couldn't be prouder of yourself.

After today, everybody knew the name, (y/n) (y/l/n).

The winner hosted an afterparty where everyone in the competition was welcomed along with hundreds of fans and other nascar fanatics.

You were currently on your way to the kitchen to get another drink—and a break from your team—when you accidentally bumped into someone. "Oh shit. I'm so sorry." You gasped, a slight worry in your tone that whoever you bumped into wouldn't care about your apologies.

"It's all good." The person said to your relief. He looked you up and down, doing a double take as he realized who you were. "You were great out there today, totally one of my favorites." The man proclaimed with a bright smile.

"Thank you, one of my favorite fans." You teased, earning a full laugh from the man. "No but seriously, thank you. I had so much fun and I couldn't be happier with the outcome." You told him earnestly.

"Well, then you just have to let me make you a victory drink. People say I do a killer Spritz." The man offered, and who were you to turn down such a nice and thoughtful gift.

You talked about todays race and racing in general as you watched him pour the Aperol, Prosecco and soda into a vine-glass filled with ice cubes. He told you he dabbled with NASCAR racing as well and that you'd been one of his inspirations this year. You were truly honored, there weren't a lot of grown men who came up and told you how much they liked you, so whenever one did, it always meant a little more.

He placed two orange slices into the drink before handing it to you. "Hope it tastes—" he bowed, holding onto an invisible hat as he did so—"M'lady."

A huge grin appeared on his face as you took the glass and tasted the alcoholic beverage, and you had to keep yourself from laughing at how excited he was. He was cute, you had to give him that. If it weren't for the... circumstances, you'd definitely amp up your charm to win him over. But, as faith have it, you weren't interested in his kind.

You took a sip of the Aperol Spritz and you felt yourself softly moaning at the taste. "Oh damn. That is good!" You exclaimed once you'd swallowed, to which the man cheered over his accomplishment.

"Griffin!" A voice boomed from the entrance of the kitchen. "There you are. I've been looking everywhere for you!" The girl stormed over to the two of you, stopping beside you, across from the man on the other side of the kitchen island.

The man before you gave a sheepish smile to the person and rubbed his hand on the back of his neck. "Sorry." He grabbed another vine-glass and started working on another drink—probably one for himself or the woman now accompanying you. "But look who I ran into."

The girl looked around before eyeing you suspiciously. She, too, did a double take, but not for the same reason the man known as Griffin did. No, she eyed you up and down like a hunter would it's prey.

You tried to avert your gaze from her, but you were now her captive, forbidden to ever look her in the eyes but never allowed to tear your eyes away from her. She truly looked like an Angel.

Seemingly not recognizing who you were and assuming he'd meant someone else—whom she'd probably know—she turned her attention back to Griffin and asked; "Who?"

"Her!" Griffin exclaimed, pointing his whole hand towards you. "It's (y/n) (y/l/n). The girl who came in fifth today." He explained before going back to making his drink, shanking his head at the girl's cluelessness.

"Oh." She muttered, sounding almost embarrassed. She turned her whole body towards you, examining every inch of your body again before finally meeting your gaze. "Congratulations." The girl said, a faint smile ghosting her lips. And if you weren't mistaken, you could see a pink hue forming on her cheeks.

"Thank you." You replied and forced your attention back to the man across from the two of you. "And thank you for the drink." You raised your glass in acknowledgment. "I should get going, can't have my team partying without me right?" You reasoned, a chuckle escaping your lips at the thought of how wild your teammates could be. Yourself included.

Connecting your gaze with the charming man across the island, you bid him goodbye. "It was nice to meet you. Griffin." You gave him a teasing smile as you uttered the name he actually never gave to you.

"It was truly my pleasure." He retorted, reaching his hand over the island to shake yours.

You clasped your hand in his and shook it twice. "Maybe I'll see you later. Though I will warn you," you began, "I take no responsibility over the person I become when I'm drunk."

The girl next to you laughed slightly, earning your attention. "You're funny, fifth girl." She retorted teasingly and accepted the drink from Griffin as he reached it over the counter to give it to her. "Fast, funny and beautiful," she took a sip of her drink, still holding eye contact with you, "A triple threat."

Griffin shook his head and looked down at the island, chuckling to himself as he grabbed yet another vine-glass to make one final drink.

Your cheeks turned maroon at the girl's words and you thanked god that there was music blasting from the living-room, hopefully distracting from both your face and lack of words.

The girl definitely noticed how flustered you became as a smirk creeped up on her face. You thought you couldn't get any weaker in the knees, but it seemed with every move she made, that theory turned out to be wrong. It was a miracle you were even standing at this point.

You tried to convince yourself if was only the alcohol talking and that she was actually straight. A girl like her would never hit on someone like you, you told yourself, but the way she observed you so intently made you reconsider.

"Don't worry," the girl began, and leaned in to whisper in your ear, "You might came in fifth," she stated and your breath hitched in your throat as her warm breath made contact with your skin, "But you're my number one."

It was clear that the girl was teasing you, and whether or not she meant what she said was beyond you, but that didn't minimize the way her words had a hold on you. And as the night progressed, all you could think about was the gorgeous brunette, who's name you forgot to ask for.

In the mean time, Angel, would have to do.