Why? | Natasha Romanoff

"Seriously, (y/n), stop playing games we need to train." Natasha warned, trying to hold back her ever growing smile.

For the last half hour I've been tackling her to the ground to tickle her and give her kisses all over her face. Natasha hated to admit it, but she is a softie, even if she doesn't want to be. But around me, she can finally let her guard down and feel vulnerable.

Had she truly not wanted me to continue, there would be no way I could tackle her to the ground that easily however, she is the Black Widow after all.

"Oh come on, we're the best fighters here! Get over here and kiss me instead!"

Natasha gave me her signature smirk before shaking her head. Still, she made her way closer to me. "If I do this, can you practice for real?" The shorter girl asked when our lips almost brushed together.

"Okay I promise, my love."

Before I knew it I was lying on the dirty ground, getting tickled in my sides while hearing a laughing Natasha. No matter how much I begged her, she wouldn't stop, not until tears started to welled up in the brim of my eyes.

Natasha stood up and offered her hand to me - which I gladly took. "Okay we have to concentrate now or Steve is gonna wipe our asses." She said like she hadn't been torturing me into tears just a second prior.

I cringed as my brain showed me a mental image of Steve actually wiping our asses, and not in a metaphorical way. Why my brain took the liberty to show me that awful picture, I will never know.

I brushed it off quickly - not wanting that image to be plastered on my mind too long - and was just about to take a stance when I realized I still hadn't been given a kiss.

"I think you owe me something first." I noticed Natasha was drinking from the water bottle placed by the mat, and therefore not paying much attention to me. Big mistake.

I used this as an opportunity to take her by surprise. I ran into her in full force, pushing her down to the mat and falling on top of her, my lips merely inches away form hers.

"God, you're so weird, (y/l/n)!" She exclaimed, trying to wiggle her way out of my grip.

"Only around you, my love."

Before she got the chance to react I kissed her quickly before using my flexibility to stand up like I hadn't just body slammed into my girlfriend.

I started running out of the training room, Natasha not far behind me. She looked pissed but amused so I couldn't help but smile.

Oh, how I was getting scold tonight!

————————

To be honest I didn't know why I thought of that moment with Natasha, it's been a year since she broke up with me and I'm over her. Almost. It would have been our five year anniversary today and that made the sting in my chest hurt even more. That's probably why memories of her flooded my mind in the first place. The only thing I could seem to think about today was Natasha, and how utterly happy and safe she makes me. Made me.

Shouting brought me back to reality and I cursed at the fact that I'd let my mind wander. I was doing a stakeout for a mission Fury send me and Wanda Maximoff on. With Wanda's power, any force could be defeated, so Fury took a liking to her, even if she did try to kill the Avengers just a month ago.

You see, I'm not an avenger anymore. I was until Natasha broke up with me and convinced Fury I was better of at S.H.I.E.L.D. I don't know why she wanted me gone but I couldn't bare seeing her face everyday so I didn't fight the transfer. But I quickly realized that I missed my friends more than I thought I would, but by that time it was too late. Fury denied my request to join the Avengers again, saying that I did more good at S.H.I.E.L.D even though I was one of the first who joined the superhero group. Even before Natasha.