Promise | Yelena Belova

"Don't go, I can't handle losing you again." I said, holding back my tears.

Yelena was going with her sister to take down the red room once and for all, but I had to stay behind. It was going to be like the blip all over again, only hoping and wishing that Yelena was alive. Never being able to speak to her, to see her. It almost made me insane, I couldn't go through that again.

"You won't lose me, (y/n)." Yelena responded in a stern voice. She looked at me with fierce eyes, yet they held pure and innocent love.

"How do you know?" My voice cracked as my throat ached from holding back my emotions, failing little by little, showing more and more. "Why do you have to go?" I asked as I have so many times before.

"(y/n), please don't make this any harder," she said, getting out of my bed, "you love Kate now, and I have to focus on helping all the widows out there."

Five years apart shadowing my brain at all time. Five years without her. Five years with Kate. She couldn't possibly ask for me to wait that long for her, not when the world was ending right in front of us.

"(y/n), I have to go. I just- I have to." Yelena spoke, stopping my spiraling thoughts.

I took a deep breath, then her hand. My shoulder shrunk at her words. There was nothing I could do to stop this.

"Did you ever-" Yelena turned away from me, her voice shaky, "did you ever think of me?" She asked. "Did you ever wonder if I was safe? Alive?" A tear fell from her eye and all I wanted to do was to wipe it away, comfort her, tell her that everything would be okay.

But I didn't, and she wiped it away herself.

"Of course I thought about you! I thought about you everyday, prayed that you were safe every night!" My tone was broken as I remembered those moments that felt like a lifetime ago. "Only wishing you'd lie next to me every time I went to sleep." I confessed, quieting down, as to not disturb those around us.

"My only concern was getting back to you." I stared down at Yelena still holding my hand. "Her only concern was to-" I paused, thinking for the right words but realizing that there were non. "It just happened." I finally said.

Yelena's cheeks were stained now, she didn't bother to wipe the tears away, more would come to take their place anyways.

I dragged her hand closer to me, ushering her to sit down again. She obeyed, and leaned her head down on my shoulder.

"Just promise me something?" She said, but it was really more a question than a statement. I nodded my head slightly, signaling for Yelena to continue. "Promise me-" she swallowed hard, unsure of her request. "Promise me you'll never love her more." She spoke, sitting up to look at me.

It was quiet for a second. Neither of us had ever felt so naked and raw as we did in that moment.

I scoffed to myself, a happy scoff. "Never ever, in any life time, on any planet, could I love someone more than I love you." I expressed, smiling brightly at the blonde before me.

Her fierce eyes burned for me, lighting a fire within me, just like every time she'd look at me all those years ago.

I rested my hand on her stained cheek, my forehead against hers. "Go." I half whispered. "You should go." I held her close to me, felt her breath on my lips. "If anyone is going to save those widows, it's you."

I released our foreheads and removed a strain of hair from Yelena's face. "You're a warrior, a fighter, you can bring mountains to their knees." My cheeks were stained alongside hers as I spoke my truthful feelings. "Save those girls, and come home to me, okay?" I asked, more as a statement.

Yelena sniffled out loud, laying her hand on my cheek as well. "I promise you, (y/n) (y/l/n), I'll always come home to you."

Her lips intervened with mine as the taste of salty water formed in my mouth. Passion erupted within us as we bid farewell with one last kiss, knowing that we'd always find our way back to each other.