045

TW // mentions of $u!c!d3, handling w3ap0n$

"I QUIT."

Kazuya stood in front of Mr. Eguchi, covering herself with her blazer. She was still dressed in the little black dress and the boots.

She had just...walked out of the club.

"NO!" Mr. Eguchi yelled, slamming his hands on the desk. "There are people that need you-"

"There are always people that need me!" Kazuya yelled, making Mr. Eguchi flinch in surprise.

"I-I don't understand the sudden change. You've never...walked out of a mission like this. You were jumping off a hot air balloon...like, yesterday!"

He truly didn't understand. Detective Himura, who always stood stoic, but determined, was slouched and wobbling uneasily in her heels. Her gaze was cast to the ground, instead of making eye contact with him.

Kazuya swallowed hard. "I'm sorry. I...can't do it anymore. This is too dangerous."

Mr. Eguchi blinked quickly, trying to come up with an excuse. "I know you went through a lot yesterday and you took many risks. We can give you a vacation right away after the mission."

"No, no," Kazuya mumbled, sweat beading her forehead. "I quit. Effective immediately."

Mr. Eguchi's jaw tightened. "You cannot be selfish, Detective Himura!"

Detective Himura slammed her fists onto his desk, making the man flinch. She grabbed a thick binder and threw it toward the filing cabinet. Papers flew everywhere. The plant was squashed under the binder.

Right where the cursed spirit was.

"That is being selfish!" she hissed, turning away and slamming the door behind her.

Mr. Eguchi was so shocked, he stared at the closed door for a few seconds. He stared at his hands, breathing heavily. They were shaking so badly he couldn't make out whether he had lunulas or not.

She saw the cursed spirit...he thought. But how...?

Then, he came to. His head snapped up, staring at the closed door.

"She saw it!" he yelled, scrambling for the door. He sprinted down the hallway and ran down the stairs.

"Security!" he yelled into his phone. "Stop anyone from leaving this building!"

Detective Himura...who are you, really?

But despite the building being under lockdown, he wasn't able to find Detective Himura. When he saw the security camera footage, she had escaped right before the order was issued.