016

"PLEASE GO AWAY, Detective Araya."

"Eh? Why so cold, Detective Himura?"

Kazuya looked up at Detective Araya with dead eyes. "Because you are hindering me in my ability to reach the same level of productivity as I usually do."

"Say that in Japanese and maybe I'll understand you," Detective Araya answered cheekily.

Kazuya nodded and drifted her eyes to the computer screen, typing away. Ignoring Detective Araya seemed like the best alternate solution, in this case.

"You're ignoring me?!" Detective Araya shrieked.

Kazuya sighed. Why did Mr. Eguchi assign her to process case files and formal requests? She was meant to be out in the world, solving those cases. Not organizing and processing them.

Oh, wait. She knew why!

The man hates her.

"I just wanted to ask what you looked like in high school!" Detective Araya continued to persist. "I bet you were a goody-two shoes, but I want to know."

"I'm not saying," Kazuya said.

"Eh? Why not?"

"Mr. Eguchi said we had to keep such information confidential."

Detective Nishikawa's head popped out over Kazuya's cubicle. "Of course Detective Himura was a goody-two shoes," he said to Detective Araya. "Look at how disciplined she is!"

Detective Fujihara also slid into view. "But...people change, right?" he said, looking around. "What were you like in high school, Detective Himura?"

"That is to be kept confidential until tomorrow, Detective Fujihara," Kazuya answered.

Detective Nishikawa laughed at Detective Fujihara's look of utter disbelief. Detective Araya patted his back, since she'd also gotten the same answer from Kazuya.

"Why won't you tell us?" Detective Fujihara yelled.

"Because I'm going to win," Kazuya smirked, not taking her eyes off the computer.

The three detectives looked at each other and went "Ooooh" as loud as they could.

"Hey, everyone!" Detective Nishikawa said. "Detective Himura just claimed that she's going to win this tomorrow's Community Builder Challenge."

"Why are you so interested in this, anyway?" Detective Araya asked Kazuya, frowning. "You've never liked the Community Builder concept."

The 70000 ¥ have my undivided attention, Kazuya thought. "Because there's a prize and I'm going to win."