017

"WHO IS THAT?"

All the detectives whispered among themselves in the auditorium. Most were dressed in 80s-Y2K fashions; shirts tucked into jeans, pastel colors, high-waisted pants, low-waisted skirts, etc. All the trends were there.

Many detectives were barely recognizable. Their hair and makeup made it hard to tell who they were, since they were usually seen with professional office-like styles.

But everyone agreed that they could not agree on whoever the hell was the detective with their Doc Martens kicked up and...was that a cigarette in their mouth?!

"I'm too scared to go near them..." a detective, wearing a pale pink wig with about a hundred hair clips, said.

"Why?"

Detective Araya's pink wig shook with disdain. "They gave me the middle finger when I said hello!"

One who made her presence known, however, was Detective Araya with her Harajuku fashion. To Kazuya, it looked like someone had thrown up the pastel rainbow on Detective Araya.

But she wasn't focused on anyone. She was too busy getting depressed over the song "House of Memories" and its lyrics:

"I THINK OF YOU FROM TIME TO TIME

MORE THAN I THOUGHT I WOULD

YOU WERE JUST TOO KIND AND I WAS TOO YOUNG TO KNOW

I WAS A FOOL"

Damn. Those lyrics hit a little too close to home.

A fool indeed, she thought, happy that she was wearing sunglasses.

"Detectives! Or, should I say, high schoolers!" Mr. Eguchi said, walking to the front of the stage. "Welcome to March's Community Builder Challenge!"

Finally, Kazuya thought, taking out her earbuds. Let's get this started.

-----

"I must say," Mr. Eguchi said. "You all did a good job! It really was funny and interesting to see how you all were in high school. And somehow we all ended up together here at the DOPI."

The adult high schoolers clapped. They all had to go up to the stage to pose in front of the other detectives. Everyone had been given copies of their work ID photos and with them they voted online who they thought the high schooler was.

"But," Mr. Eguchi continued. "There is only one person among us whose identity nobody was able to guess correctly."

He pulled up an image on the screen. It was of a teen sitting on a ledge, smirking down at the camera. They wore combat boots, black tracksuit pants, a red shirt, and a black jacket that was half-off. Silver sunglasses hid their eyes.