Chapter XXVIII

Alexa's POV:

I woke up and yawned. I looked around and noticed that this wasn't my room. The walls were wooden and grubby, not being washed for years. The floor had patches of fur in some spots. It looked familiar but I could not pin point where. I looked around at the bodies around me and that's when it hit me.

'Jake's pack house. I'm in the attic with all the other people from the village,' I thought. There were twenty women and thirty-nine kids, all sleeping on the attic floor. We only got twenty very thin blankets to share so most of the children had to share the blankets with another, leaving most of the adults cold.

'But Liam? Cody? The baby? Do they not exist? Was it all a dream? Of course, it was. There is no way that the leader of the biggest pack would have me as a mate,' I thought to myself, the usual feeling of sadness and fear coming into play.

Suddenly, a loud, ear piercing bell went off and everyone else got up. The women split up into two groups of ten. One group managed the children while the other group folded the blankets. I got up and started managing the kids with the other ladies. We all got them into one line and started walking up and down them to see how they were feeling. There were fifty-nine of us but only thirty got a small amount of food. Barely enough to even share. We always had twenty kids and ten women take the food, then the roster will change to another twenty kids and ten women.

I walked to the leader, moving through to the front of the line. As I walked past all of these poor, sick kids, one of the tugged on my dress. I looked down to see a small girl with her hair in two messy plats, whispering to me. I bent down to hear her, but she was so quiet.

"Sweetie, you need to speak up," I said soothingly while rubbing her back. She took a deep breath and looked at me in the eyes.

"Happy Birthday," She whispered. I smiled at her, thanking her quietly as I stood up. Fear struck my body as I knew exactly who was on their way up. 'On a slaves' eighteenth birthday, they will be given the privilege to have sex with the Alpha until the Alpha finds his mate'. These words played around in my head as the fear caused my body to shake.

I rushed to the head women, counting the seconds until the door would open. I did not know what she would do but all I could think about was my safety. My breathing paced faster as my footsteps became heavier. The Head Woman turned to me, alert at the noise I was making.

"We don't need to wake the Alpha, quieten down," Head Woman said to me. I looked at her, my body still shaking.

"I'm sorry," I said, panting.

"It's okay. We aren't dead yet so just lay low," Head Woman said while patting my back. "Isn't that right kids?" Head Woman asked the children quietly. They all nodded, careful to make as less noise as possible.

"Head Woman? It's my birthday today," I said. Head Woman looked at me and smiled. It was a sad smile, one where you can see how broken they are.

"Well happy birthday then," She said slowly, unsure of where I was going with this.

"It's my eighteenth birthday," I said, causing her to freeze. She blinked a few times before looking back at me.

"Damn it," Head Woman said. I nodded as my body shook more. She knew why I was shaking, why I was scared. She placed a hand on my shoulder and opened her mouth to say something when the Attic door opened and hit the wall loudly, causing all of us to jump. We all looked to the person in the doorway. I could feel the air leave my body as I stared at him, wide eyed.