53 - priorities

Shockwaves went through the entire K-pop industry as the news surfaced. Ateez announced that they were stopping all activities immediately and that they planned to leave KQ. It turned into a huge media circus, lawyers were snarling at each other, and while this was happening, the eight idols went home to their families.

In secret they had recorded a song to be released to Atiny. They knew they were disappointing so many people by doing this, and they couldn't be sure they would ever be able to hold another concert. At the moment the only thing they knew was that KQ was fighting for their lives. Without Ateez they would make very little money, which was what eventually became their downfall.

If Maya had followed entertainment news she probably would have heard the story. She might also have heard that her song was released. It was an acoustic version recorded at a friend's studio. It was good but simple. It was Maya's song, Smile. Atiny loved it, and the entire fan base swore they would stick around for when Ateez returned. Atiny refused to believe they wouldn't.

But Maya had no idea. She never looked at anything even remotely connected to Kpop. She had to keep her distance, it was the only way to stay sane. Besides, her studies were taking everything she had. She should have taken a job to be able to earn some money, but she didn't have the energy. She lived off the little money she had, just trying to make it. She had considered many options. Quitting school was out of the question, that was a promise she had to keep. She did not want to go back home, there was nothing left for her there. So she studied. When her roommates discovered she was so good at making clothes, a few of them hired her to make outfits. She made a little money that way. In every item she made she stitched a small red heart.

Whenever she sowed a skirt, she cried.

After having left their dorms, for good, the boys didn't see each other every day for a while. Sure, they called and FaceTimed a lot, but it wasn't the same. Hongjoong missed them immensely. He wasn't the only one feeling that way.

«Hongjoong-ah! Come in, come in, it's so good to see you!»

«Thank you, Mrs. Park.»

«I'm glad you could stop by. Thank you, I'm really worried about him.»

«I understood that from what you said on the phone. Does he not talk to you?»

«He doesn't talk, hardly eats, doesn't smile or laugh... He's just not himself.»

«I'll talk to him.»

«He's in his room. Dinner is almost ready, you should both come and eat.»

«Thank you, Mrs. Park.»

Seonghwa barely looked up when Hongjoong knocked and opened the door.

«What are you doing here, Joongie?»

«I wanted to check in on you. How are you?»

Seonghwa shrugged, his eyes on the show playing on his tv.

«Could you pause that, please?» Hongjoong asked.

«No.»

«Please, Hwa!»

There was desperation in Hongjoong's voice, not anger. Hwa rolled his eyes and paused the drama he was watching.

«Thank you. What are you watching?»

«Whatever keeps me from thinking,» Seonghwa said, sitting up on the bed. He had spent most of his time right here the last week. He couldn't tell you how many days it had been since he last left the apartment.