23 - Jeju

Summer vacation meant Maya was off from her studies. For the boys, it was the busiest season of all. They were having a comeback and a tour, and that meant a tremendous amount of work. They all worked really hard, and Maya had never seen them as tired as they were now. She spent time at KQ when she could, backing them, helping out with little things, and just being there. The staff knew her as a close friend of every one of the boys. No one suspected there to be anything more going on, as she seemed equally close with each and every one of them. Even Wooyoung and San kept hugging her, which was definite proof. Everyone knew WooSan was a couple, even though it was an unspoken truth. Maya just sort of slid into KQ as part of Ateez's entourage, and the boys were happy to be able to have her around more.

A regular Tuesday morning, Maya came to KQ with drinks for everyone. She found everyone working together on a dance routine in the biggest studio, and she went to sit on the sofa in the back. She always enjoyed watching them, but she also worried about them. They were tired, all of them. Hongjoong was clearly feeling the pressure of being the leader, Yunho was stressed out about the dancing, and Seonghwa was just worried about everyone. Tension was high, and Maya had a frown on her face.

In the middle of the routine, they all suddenly stopped. Maya hadn't seen what happened, but she too was on her feet immediately. She ran to them, finding Yunho laying on the floor groaning.

«What happened?» she asked Yeosang, grabbing his arm.

«He slid, I think it's his knee.»

Yunho was clenching his teeth together, but his face revealed he was in a lot of pain. Managers were running around, making phone calls, obviously worried. When Maya saw a few tears escape Yunho's eyes, she couldn't stay away any longer. She kneeled by his head, grabbing his hand and squeezing it. He looked up at her with fear in his eyes.

«It's going to be okay,» she smiled gently. «You'll be okay.»

«I don't think so,» he said, his voice cracking with emotion. «It's bad, I can feel it.»

«We'll get through it together, sweetie, I promise.»

He lay on the floor with his head in her lap until the in-house physiotherapist came to have a look. Yunho had to go to the hospital for a checkup, there was no doubt about it. Getting the huge man on his feet wasn't that easy, he was in a lot of pain and had to keep his right leg off the floor. The boys managed to get him up, though, and Mingi carried him on his back all the way to the car out front.

«Should I come?» Hongjoong asked Yunho on the way down.

«No, stay here,» he said, shaking his head.

«I'm going,» Maya said, not even making it an option. «I'll call you if we need anything. Okay?»

«Thank you, Maya,» Hongjoong said, hugging her tightly before she went into the car with Yunho. The manager who was driving them didn't even say a word, he just went along with it.

Yunho was expecting the worst at the hospital and was so down when they were waiting that Maya just couldn't stay away. She held his hand, kissed his cheek when they were alone, and tried to just keep his mind positive. They took x-rays and saw a doctor, and then there were more waiting.

When they got home to the dorm, the others were already back. Woo had made dinner, with the help of the others, and everyone were anxious to hear the news. When they saw Yunho come in the door on crutches, with a brace around his knee and a gloomy look on his face, they understood it was bad news.

Mingi was the first one to run to Yunho and just hug him. Maya gave Hongjoong a look, and he understood it wasn't good. One by one everyone came to give Yun a hug, not sure what to say.

«The managers are coming over later tonight to discuss what we'll do,» Maya said.

«Then, let's just have dinner first.»

Mingi didn't leave Yunho's side for the rest of the night, and everyone were trying to help in any way they could. When the managers came over, Maya went to her room, but Hongjoong whispered to her before she left:

«Keep your door open and listen, so we don't have to repeat everything.»

«Okay,» she winked and left them.

«So, the doctors say no dancing for Yunho for the next 6 to 8 weeks. Gentle rehab can start in about two weeks.»

The managers looked around the room. Yunho only looked down, or else he would cry. Mingi had his arm behind his shoulders the whole time.

«What about the tour?» Wooyoung finally asked when no one else dared.

«Well, there are two options. Go on without Yunho, or cancel,» the manager in charge said.

«But?» Hongjoong looked at them.

«If we cancel, KQ is at risk of bankruptcy.»

«You have to go,» Yunho said. «There is nothing to even think about.»

«Yunho, you're our main dancer!» Woo said.

«You'll be fine without me.»

«No, we won't be fine without you. We might manage, but it won't be fine.» Hongjoong sighed. «But I think we have to try. I'm sorry.»

«Don't be sorry. This is my own fault.»

«It was an accident.» Mingi squeezed his hand. «It's not your fault.»

«I can't believe I ruined this!» Yunho didn't seem to be listening to their reassurances. He was heartbroken. He had worked so hard for this comeback and the tour, and now he had ruined it all. They would be fine without him, but it would still hold them back. All because he wasn't careful enough.

Over the next few days, the entire comeback and tour were reconfigured. BB Trippin, their dance crew, did a huge job and made sure all the dances were up to speed, with one of them doing a lot of Yunho's parts. Yunho sat at rehearsals, trying to be helpful, but he saw they were better off just figuring things out themselves.

«I need to get out of here,» he whispered into Maya's hair that night.

«Okay.»

«I can't just sit there and watch them. I'm in the way.»

«Where do you wanna go?»

«Just away.»

«To your family?»

«No, more like... a vacation.»

«That's a great idea,» she smiled. «Can I come?»

«Do you wanna come?»

«Well, I can't really pay for it, but I'd love to go if... you need me there? Or do you need some time alone?»

«No, I definitely need you there.»

«Yay!»

«Where do you wanna go?»

«Jeju island?» It fell out of her mouth immediately, but he was on board before she could second-guess herself.

«Yes! Let's do that!»