40 - regret

Back at the dorm, without any outsiders present, Hongjoong spoke up.

«We should talk.»

«This is not your decision,» Seonghwa immediately said.

«I'm the leader, am I not?» Hongjoong said, turning to look at him. The others all kept quiet. 

«You might be Ateez's leader, but this is about Maya.»

«Who is also a part of our family, so my point stands.»

«So, you're the leader of the family too then?»

Seonghwa heard it himself, he was out of line, but he was so hurt, mostly on Maya's behalf. He couldn't stop himself.

«Do you want the job? I'll give it to you. It's not as much fun as you'd think.»

«Seems like it's pretty fly. You just do whatever you want, and no one keeps you accountable when you fuck up.»

For a second they looked at each other with furious eyes. It looked like they were ready to hit one another. Then Hongjoong took a deep breath.

«Honestly, I have no idea what's going on. I'm sorry if that makes me an asshole. Please, someone, tell me what happened?»

Seonghwa sighed and looked at Maya who was partially hiding behind him. She nodded.

«Fine, we'll talk. With everyone

Hongjoong nodded. «Thank you.»

Five minutes later everyone was gathering in the living room, scattered out on the sofas and the floor. Wooyoung was sitting on San's lap, he had a worried look on his face, like he thought he had fucked up big time last night with how far he had taken things with Maya. They had never kissed like that before, and certainly not seen each other in that situation. Not like this, at least. Fuck, all boundaries were messed up now, he didn't know what was okay and what wasn't. He wasn't even sure what his own boundaries were anymore. He loved San. He wanted to spend his life with his Sannie. But he also wanted to be part of this family, and sharing intimacy with them like they had the night before... It had been... good, for lack of a better word. Not just physically gratifying, but also meaningful in more ways. He felt closer to them all, especially to Maya. But maybe that was wrong?

«It'll be okay,» San whispered in his ear, for him only to hear. «I love you.»

«I love you too, Sannie.»

Wooyoung turned and kissed him, and then just held on to his arms as San just held him on his lap.

Yunho had gravitated toward Mingi. He was supposed to be the strong one, but he needed Mingi right now. He sat in front of his chair, and thankfully Mingi understood. He put his hands on his shoulders, gently kneading them, just making Yunho feel grounded.

Yeo looked around the room and sat on the sofa, close to Hongjoong. He felt alone in the middle of the group. The others seemed so sure of what to do, who to sit with. They all had allies. Yeo had no one. His eyes quickly passed by Maya and Seonghwa, but he couldn't look for too long. Maya was looking sad. She was staring at her hands. Seonghwa had an arm behind her back. He looked very protective of her. Jongho sat next to them, but he too looked like he'd rather not be here.

«So,» Hongjoong said. «Seonghwa?»

Seonghwa had challenged his authority and he wasn't going to fight him for it right now. That was for another day.

Hwa wanted to make a snappy remark, like 'oh, so now I get to lead the conversation'? He didn't though, he knew it wouldn't make for a productive meeting.