Promise

He had tried not to think about what had happened last time his Dad got hurt but it all came swirling back, the pack crumpled around him. Kira and Derek grappling with the reaper that had almost taken them had it not been for Deaton.

That's not even beginning to think about his terrifying thoughts while he was a mutated werewolf.

He watched Scott, fearing the anger, the disgust, the hatred.

He could take it and stand up for himself even when Scott had pushed him away last time but with all this horrible guilt with what he had done, Stiles didn't think he could he could shield himself from it this time. 

He might get blown away.

But to Stiles surprise Scott didn't look like any of those things, nor did he look upset over what he had said.

He looked calm, concerned and there was sympathy there as well.

Stiles felt like he didn't deserve this but before he could protest and try and dig himself into a hole that he thought he deserved but was scared of at the same time Scott spoke. 

"Stiles, I'm not going to tell you not to blame yourself because I know that you won't listen to me. I know you feel like you deserve some sort of punishment for what's happened. You're right, you did hurt the pack, you did almost kill Kira and Derek, you did kill a ton of hunters and you did kill Riley but Stiles..."

Stiles who had been looking at the ground, shoulders slumped at what seemed like a scolding by Scott.

I knew it, he hates me, he hates me, he hates me.

He looked up at Scott's change of tone near the end, a spike of surprise going through him.

"Stiles" Scott said "You're pack and nothing is going to change that. I'm sorry for pushing you away when you first became a were-fox. I was so stupid! Stiles you're my best friend and even if you don't consider me that anymore. I-I still consider you that"

And something else came to Scott's mind then, something he'd remembered Stiles screaming, it was something that had really jolted him, really woke him up to what Stiles was actually feeling.

Stiles was blinking away tears as Scott started to speak again, his own voice also wavering with emotion "A while ago when I felt like there was no where else to turn, when I... almost killed myself, when I called us nothing, you were the one that pulled me back  a-and I didn't realise how much you'd agonised over  until I heard what you told Liam on the full moon"

Scott stepped a little closer to Stiles, his voice more urgent "We weren't nothing, you were everything to me! You still are!  I couldn't carry on without you! Th-that's why I bit you!"

Scott gulped down tears as he said "And now you've gone through all this"

"This isn't your fault Scott" Stiles said, his eyes wide with shock.

So he didn't hate him?

In fact Scott blamed, himself?

"It's not yours" Scott replied sharply.

And Stiles had no response to that, Scott carried on as he said, finally getting some of his emotions under control, his voice more confident "So if this will help you then I will support you leaving but you've got to come back, right? I meant what I said, I can't do this without you Stiles"

Stiles rubbed his watering eyes as he said "Yeah,  I'll come back" He joked trying to lighten the mood "I bet the pack will be a disaster if I don't"

"Yeah, we will be" Scott said softly.