Lynx - Bonus

Image is Zeus. By Kai Huang.

Case 4 – "Snake Venom"

I saw Zass remembering our life together.  I saw the memories flicker and his demeanour change as he remembered the good times and the moments that had brought us closer together.  When he thought about that first meeting, I was shocked at my own appearance.  I knew I was close to death in that hospital, but I hadn't known how like total crap I'd looked.  It made me even more thankful to him for my salvation.  I blushed again when he began remembering our first times.  Seeing my face through his eyes, I understood finally what he saw in me.

I was thankful that I was still human enough to blush and then the heat intensified as he started thinking about that time in the shower, the first time we'd actually consummated our relationship and then that time when I revealed my wings.  I got slightly hot and bothered and felt Mirth touch my arm gently in an effort to make me remember my mission. 

Then he began thinking about the end of Sebastian and Lynx and I was totally with him in the moment as he ripped each resisting head from shoulders and they turned to ash.  I couldn't tell you if my exultant cry left my lips, but I felt it was so loud in my head Zass must have heard it from where he was.  He'd done as I'd asked and maybe that bitch should have been left down some pit somewhere contemplating our happy lives together instead of dying so quickly, but I couldn't take the chance she'd ever be in a position to come back.  She more than anyone in the world needed to be gone.

................

I felt that tickle at the side of my head again.  Something was there but I couldn't put my finger on what it was.  I pulled the covers over my head and sank down into the dirt as I tried to ignore my surroundings and take the easy way out of my uncomfortable head space and black out for the day.  I took one final glance around me and noted the closest exit then closed my eyes and huffed out a breath before allowing the grey numbness of a Vampire's sleep to creep over me.

...............

I saw an abandoned building at the edge of Vegas and Zass's intention to return to L.A.  I told the guys about what I'd seen and Tank handed me the keys to Zass's SUV. 

"Go, find him.  Cerberus and I will join you in L.A. when we can.  I have business to attend to before I can leave.  Also we must mourn our fallen.  But we will join you there unless you find him and convert him by tonight."

I couldn't see that happening.  I wasn't that lucky.  But I nodded anyway.

"I'll head out straight away and I'll call our friends and his business associate and let them know to be on the lookout.  I'd hate for anyone to get caught between us before I can get to him."  I assured him.

We clasped wrists and Tank grunted, slapping my back.  "You're a good man Scott.  I hope you find him and it all works out, but in the meantime I'll provide support and back up during the dark hours.  Who can you count on for the daylight?"

"Us." Said two voices behind him.  Dimity and Megaera stood in the doorway and as soon as Mirth saw them she ran, arms outstretched towards her sister and her sister's lover.

I gave a half smile to the women in the doorway before we all began to talk at once.  Dimity and Megaera babbling their thanks and asking after Zass and Tank and his guys wanting to know who they were and what the deal with the weeping women was.  Explanations required I guess, but they could sort it out.  The place in my heart that Zass filled with everything he was felt like it had been ripped from my body.  It felt hollow and unreal that I'd been through so much and sacrificed so much and yet we hadn't been able to celebrate a victory at the end of the case, even with the death of our enemies.  I knew Zass still believed I was dead, but surely he could add up the clues and figure out that I was still here?  I guess even after 675 years, the pain of loss was still as real as it was for humans.