Lynx - Part 12

Drawing by madatom13 on DeviantArt

Second challenge...

Scott stood panting, holding himself up by sheer force of will as Lynx and Sebastian walked over to us with sour expressions. As Vampires, I knew they wouldn't care a fig we'd killed all the Were's they'd sent into the maze. It was Bohdan's expression I was more concerned with. If we'd taken out his top lieutenant or something we were in for it. I glanced over at my opponent. The large Were was already waiting for us, stripped to the waist and showing off his physique to the watching members of his pack, that were sitting on the raked steps surrounding the stone arena. There were the usual cat calls and jeers from the rowdy bunch as I helped Scott to the opponent's side. I helped him to a column on the outside edge and he leaned against it, closing his eyes again from the pain. The arena was larger than a regular boxing ring and the edges were well defined being enclosed by the columns, I took a deep breath and stood waiting in our corner next to Scott.

He wasn't looking too flash. I knew he was healing and mentally that reassured me, but also I knew he'd be incapacitated for the beginning of the fight. I was just hopeful that he wouldn't get himself killed before I had a chance to put Bohdan down. Scott briefly opened his eyes and looked at me as I quickly touched his arm. He nodded and closed his eyes again. I took that as a good sign. As Bohdan took a couple of warm up laps around the arena and flexed his muscles for the whistling crowd, I paid little attention, instead focusing on Sebastian's increasing look of enjoyment, his focus on Scott's motionless figure and his proximity to the arena. When he stretched his arms out wide to show off his reach, that's when I paid attention and touched Scott again for him to see the expanse of Bohdan's arms too. Scott nodded at me and then closed his eyes again, conserving energy until Lynx stood, nodded at everyone for quiet, waved her arms for everyone to settle down and then spoke loudly into the large space.

"The rules of the Arena are simple." She said, "You go in and you don't come out until your opponent or opponents are dead." She smiled cruelly as she took in Scott's weakened condition and my determined expression. "You'll be happy to know Mirth is waiting in the dungeon for Sebastian as soon as Bohdan is finished with you and Featherboy." She said tauntingly.

It came as no surprise that Lynx was resorting to that kind of suggestion to get me worked up. Problem for her was that it wasn't making me angrier, it only steeled my resolve to extinguish the black and cold flame that burned brightly in her predatory eyes.

Sebastian merely raised his nose in disdain and told Bohdan to "Begin."

The huge Were looked at me and then at Scott and said, "Shall we dance? Or do you just want me to finish off Blondie over there first? One blow ought to do the job."

"Right here Furboy." I said, making a come hither gesture with my hands, holding them down low at my hips.

He crinkled his nose in distaste and made a few homophobic remarks ending with, "Shall I tear him a new one for you?"

I could live with the taunts. I needed every second I could get for Scott to heal. The faster he was on his feet, the faster he would be able to defend himself. I didn't need him to be able to fight, I just needed him to stay alive. I guessed he was using himself as a distraction and wasn't as hurt as he was making it appear from the clarity in his blue eyes when he looked at me, but I couldn't be sure. Although...

I looked at him and thought really loudly in my head, "Are you doing OK Blondie?" Scott looked up from under his eyelashes quickly and rolled his eyes at the name before winking at me. I breathed a sigh of relief. He was making out to be worse than he was. I hoped he wouldn't need to prove just how good he was feeling and that Bohdan would concentrate on me.