Lynx - Part 13

Sebastian, sort of... :)

Behind door number two was the final test.  One question and the incorrect answer meant death.

Iris led us to another room in the Den.  There were only three people in the gallery, Sebastian, Lynx and Mirth.  Mirth looked uneasy, she was sitting in-between the other two, and she clutched both hands together in her lap and bit her lips while her eyes flew between her captors.  She already sported a black eye and looked like she'd been roughed up since we'd spoken in the maze.  I guessed Sebastian had taken out some of his frustration at our successful navigation of the first two challenges on her.  It was just another black pebble on the scales of justice that I had in my head for him.  The black far outweighed the white, and if I had the chance I was going to tip them right over and end him for good.  No surprise there, what I wanted to do to Lynx on the other hand was lock her into her own dungeon and leave her there to starve.  It would take centuries and she'd end up a dried out husk, turned mad with thirst, which was no less than she deserved.  That or take her head, but if I had the chance, I'd let her starve.

Iris motioned us in front of a table to the side of the room, with three goblets on it.  One was made from gold, the next silver and the third was made from crystal.  I suddenly remembered her words in the maze.  She said to us, "You must each drink from a goblet.  Two contain certain death, the third is merely wine."

"If you're not human?" Zass asked.

"You have the three choices before you and may only ask one question.  Is that your question Mitchell Coby Michael Grassi otherwise known as Zass?"

I blinked in surprise, before remembering she was Sphinx.  If anyone could see who I really was under all the layers I'd put on over the years it was her.  "No." I replied.  Give me a second."

I turned to look at Scott and lifted my shoulders.  I had no idea which one to choose, I did however remember what she'd told him in the maze, 'Don't drink from the crystal goblet."

He stepped up to the table and asked his question.

"No matter the consequences, what goblet do I drink from to save my Zass and whoever else wishes to accompany him out of here?" He asked.

Her face crumpled and I knew suddenly for certain that she was going to tell him to drink from the crystal goblet.

'You are certain you desire the Vampire to remain?" She asked quickly and quietly.

Scott nodded and smiled wryly as he reached for the crystal goblet, the knowledge already showing itself to him.  Iris nodded at him in agreement with his choice.

I held onto his arm and said, "No Scott.  Don't you dare kill yourself for me."

"Drinking this doesn't automatically mean I'm dead Zass.  It just means you'll live and everyone else will be able to leave."

"But I can only die from sunlight and decapitation; there isn't anything in those goblets that can kill me."

"Are you sure?" He asked.

"Yes, 1000%."

"I know you truly believe that Zass, but we need to leave with those we came for, not just save ourselves.  This is the only way to do that." Scott assured me and turned his back on our audience.  He held my face, I looked up into those eyes that were suddenly swirling with silver. 

"Iris knows I need you in my life, without you I will die.  You're the best thing that's ever happened to me Zass.  If you hadn't found me I would have truly died in that hospital.  You've given me so much in the time we've had and I know we would have been happy together, but what we've had in the time that I've known you has been wonderful.  How can I ask for more than that?" He asked with love shining from those silver eyes.