Lynx - Part 4

Case 4 - "Snake Venom"

Las Vegas, home to the most Supernatural beings in America. With the casinos making everything available 24 hours a day it meant sunlight became less of an issue especially for Vampires and other things that were nocturnal by necessity or design. If you were fortunate enough to be able to deal with the sunlight without immolating as soon as you stepped outside, it was the perfect place. Wearing an accurate watch and making sure you knew when true sunset happened, was important. Sunscreen and fully covering clothing was another option. However if you're as old as me, you can deal with small amounts for a short time. I never went anywhere in the car without applying the strongest sunscreen you can buy. I look slightly shiny but that's better than turning into a crispy critter. We'd spent more than our allotted time having welcome home fun so, the sun was on the rise as we made it to the outskirts of Vegas. I'd already booked us into a great Hotel with underground parking, so it was easy enough to get to the check in desk without worrying. The Concierge was accommodating and when he saw my Platinum Card offered to send us up a bottle of whatever we wanted on the house.

We'd brought along a few extras that meant I didn't have to worry about unwary housemaids. When we were shown into the suite, Scott made sure the blackout curtains were drawn in the living area before I went in. The tinted sheets of UV Blackout we'd brought adhered directly to the window, but were easily removable so management would never know we'd put it up. Some blackout curtains never really cut the mustard so even though we requested them, we came prepared. We checked for hidden cameras, microphones and anything else that looked suspect. You never knew these days with miniature recording devices and the lengths people would go to, to record unwary guests for cheap voyeuristic thrills. We couldn't have anyone finding out about Scott yet.

When we were happy with the security measures, Scott put the 'Do Not Disturb' sign on the door and we snuggled up in the huge bed for some sleep before we went looking for information about Lynx, her current location and who might be available for backup in case of emergency. Father Rinaldi had people spread all over, so getting hold of more weapons wouldn't be a problem if needed. However we were hoping that kind of assistance would be unnecessary. What I was after was more in the way of information for a start, political tides surrounding Las Vegas and Thanos its Vampire Master. He and I were on friendly terms if not actual friends. I was hoping he would be more disposed towards helping me rather than siding with Lynx. I sent his Human Companion Mist a message, letting her know I was in town, hoping for an appointment for an audience with them before Lynx found out we were in Vegas. One way or another I was going to do my best to keep my word to Dimity and hopefully not get myself or Scott killed in the process.

When we rose and the sun had disappeared beneath the horizon, we found a message from Mist giving a time and place for our meeting with Thanos. I ordered Scott enough breakfast for two and had a small cup of blood. I didn't need much. I guess I shouldn't have been as surprised as I was at how satisfied Scott's blood had made me. Last night, I'd taken more than I ever had before. Scott hadn't tried to stop me, he'd enjoyed my mouth on his neck as much as he ever had. With his added strength, he'd woken with no lasting ill-effects, apart from being ravenous. He wolfed down all but one slice of toast, and then twirled me around the room after putting the cover over the empty plates.

"Scotty!" I giggled, as we spun around. A bit of levity before meeting Thanos was all well and good, I loved seeing this side of my Love. Our situation could change all too quickly and I had no desire to make his face shut down, but I had to sit him down and remind him of a few things before we left for the meeting.

"Scott." I said, my voice turning serious.

"Yes Zass?"

"We need to talk about this meeting. It's going to be harder on you than me. You need to be mindful of their expectations regarding you as my Human Companion."