Lynx - Part 10

"Me." Scott said.

Dimity and I looked at each other and then smiled. It was true. They knew only that Scott was a Human Companion, no Vampire could touch him... Ahhh! The glimmering idea I'd had a while ago became a bit more fleshed out as I considered who we were going up against again and how Sebastian had reacted to Scott last time he had seen us together. Oh yes, I could definitely use that distraction to my advantage. I was going to need every last scrap of leverage I could get if we were to beat those two. Any way you looked at it, the Council were going to be demanding an explanation if either one of us destroyed the other. For my part, I had no problem whatsoever with destroying Lynx or Sebastian, but I was more interested in getting Mirth back at the moment. Although if I didn't deal with those two this time round, the possibility that one or the other would cause my final end was a distinct possibility. I kept my promises these days and I wanted nothing more than to fulfil my end of the bargain, but doing that without getting all of us killed was the issue.

"If you're going to be coming with us Dimity, I could certainly use your help." I told her. I wasn't going to turn away a Gorgon. After seeing her in action at the Summit, I knew the more Weres she took out the better. She helped us win this thing, I would be totally fine with future contact with her. In my book it wasn't who your allies were at that time, it was who you could call on in times of need. Dimity might have been forced to stand on the sidelines before Petros died, but now she was free to determine her own destiny. I guess I was finding her less painful to be around. There was no way I could look at her without remembering past hurts. But it was fading and the man sitting against the headboard of the bed watching our conversation was my reason for happiness now and I wasn't going to lose him. She kept him alive and I would be eternally grateful.

It dawned on me that Scott was already the most important man in my life, even more than Misha. Even more than those I had loved and lost. He wasn't Vampire and could never understand the thirst I felt every time I breathed in his scent, but now that he was Supernatural too, I didn't have to worry so much about him dying on me like a fragile human. It was freeing, that weight coming off my shoulders. Which was a good thing because Dimity might be a help when we got to the Den, but everything was going to hinge on how Sebastian reacted to Scott's presence again. That and how well we performed in the arena.

As I watched Scott, watching our interaction I remembered that Sebastian had last seen him, human, begging for my touch and strapped to a St Andrew's Cross. If he thought to use Scott as a hostage, he would find a very different man now. Scott might look completely harmless, he certainly didn't have fangs. But even without the usual weapons he carried, Scott was becoming more lethal. His new found strength in combination with his training and speed meant he would be just as fast as the Weres. I told him, he and Dimity would be responsible for keeping our backs safe while I kept Sebastian's attention on me.

I remembered what Lynx had been so fond of when we were together and had brought along a few mementos of our time together as bait. Or at least something to illicit an emotional response. An emotional Vampire was less likely to perform at their peak in a fight.

We loaded up the weapons we'd brought too. I was going gunning for bear. The last thing before we all got in the car was changing into something a bit more... challenging. Dimity's costume never changed, and I had Thanos and some of his guys waiting in the background in case we needed some more muscle. He always wore the same leather vest and pants combo. I don't know why, the one time I had managed to get him into an Armani he'd rocked it. Which left my attire and Scott's too. I'd brought along something a bit more along the lines of his Inferno outfit but with a couple of changes, the boots were the same, but the leather pants were skin tight and showed off that man's delicious assets to full view. Scott had objected until I reminded him about Sebastian's reaction to their first meeting, and he'd grudgingly pulled them on. Then he'd seen the top. At his crestfallen look I reminded him of why we were doing this.