41. Shards - Kiril

It was certainly not the first kiss in Kiril's life but it felt like the only one that mattered in that instant.

She kissed him, not the other way around. It was out of her own free will and Kiril was angry with himself for how giddy it made him feel.

All the giddiness though, couldn't distract him from the other things he noticed those days when they were close together. Life was slowly draining out of Mila's body. Her body was still human and the supernatural baby was too strong. If it weren't for Selene's power she would already be dead, but since Mila couldn't use or wield that other power, it was chafing at her too even if it was keeping her alive.

He was angry with Erik. How could he impregnate her without thinking about the consequences? He knew she was human and that human girls couldn't carry hybrid babies. Had he been so blinded by lust that he acted like a teenager that didn't know how babies are made? Was he so desperate for an heir or to tie her to him because he knew he was competing with almost every other male of his kind? Had it been an accident? But how the hell can you still have this type of accident at the tender age of one hundred and twenty? He had slept with lots of girls but never left any baby in his wake.

Erik was making him angry from beyond death and that embryo was terrifying him in more ways than one. It was holding his power too, and that power was harder to control than any of the regular wolf magic. DNA worked very strangely. It was amazing and frightening how it gathered the information from his blood too that was at the point of the conception in Mila's body. Even if he clearly didn't father the child it had a least one thing of him, that damn power that made it very, very dangerous.

If he had to be honest with himself and with Mila, aborting the child would be the best option for her. Even that kid doctor noticed that something was off, even if the embryo didn't manifest magic in his presence. He said that it was making the mother terribly weak and he couldn't find a scientific reason for that.

However, that was clearly not an option Mila made that abundantly clear all the time she insisted on the doctor saving the baby. It was not like Kiril wasn't used to pushing his will on people when it was for their own good, as he did with Angel not long ago, but that was different. He was not Sanjay. But he had to do something because else she would die.

"Are you sober now?" asked Kiril when Angel exited the bathroom.

"I guess so..." mumbled Angel. "Auu! What was that for?" He then cried up when Kiril's palm collided with the back of his head.

"For getting drunk and for getting Ju drunk too."

"It was Dasha's idea," answered Angel.

"But you are much older than Dasha and should have known better. Besides, you are an Alpha and have responsibilities, you cannot just get shit-faced when you feel like it."

"Sorry..." whispered Angel, looking at the floor. He sounded so sad it almost made Kiril feel bad. "You sound like my sister. Angel, you are Alpha you have to do this nasty thing, Angel you are Alpha you cannot do that... Why the fuck do people even want this burden?"

"Frodo, we need to leave the shire now."

The corners of Angel's mouth twitched up involuntary and he looked at Kiril with at least some light in his eyes.

"You are weird. That was sort of a good joke. I just thought you are a murderous maniac but turned out you are also funny sometimes. What do you want from me again?"

"We have to go to the airport."

"Why?"

"To obviously fly somewhere."