35. Goodbye, my lover - Angel

Angel woke up with a pounding headache. In the first few seconds, he didn't recall where he was or what had happened. Everything around him was fire, dust, and debris.

Michael. He came there to confront Michael but the issues escalated and they had an actual fistfight where they tried to... murder each other.

How did it come to that? Michael was the love of his life, they have had more than thirty, mostly wonderful, years together, and now they tried to kill each other?

Angel knew very well why he tried that and ironically it was for that greater good that Michael so often mentioned, just that the greater good they envisioned was a very different one.

Michael had sold Mila off to some people that wanted to murder her. She and Erik's child would die and Michael thought it was the right thing to do. He agreed for that brotherhood to use Samira and was actively trying to kill Kiril and take his power. According to Kiril, he had joined those creatures that were actively hating and hunting their kind.

It was right, that Kiril didn't have a good reputation and he was known to be very good at deceiving, but somehow he seemed more sincere and trustworthy than the man he had loved for over twenty years.

If the villain of the story inspired you more trust than the actual love of your life something very sad must have happened.

Michael had indeed left him there bleeding on the ground surrounded by the rubble of their destroyed house. When he looked over the remains of the place they used to call home and cradle their happiness in, it felt like a prophecy.

A half-burned photo of the two of them, from before the time Mila appeared in their lives, flew across the rubble. Angel felt tears in his eyes.

He remembered the day they met. He had been so miserable that day, after yet another fight with his brother-in-law Amaru, when his sister refused to take his part to not anger her mate.

It was the early nineties and being openly gay slowly started to normalize, but it were mostly the effeminate gays that got the attention and appeared in the media. Only twenty-something human years old, and growing up in a rather misogynistic and homophobic environment, he was half ashamed and half unsure about what he was in that regard.

He was sure he had no interest in females, unfortunately, and also no interest in following his father as an alpha. His father had won his place and leadership in a fight, not coming from an actual alpha lineage, but he wanted desperately the one he had created to continue. Alejandra, being sixty years older than Angel, had been for a long time his only child and he had chosen Amaru to be his successor before he knew he would also have a son.

He wasn't alpha anymore when almost three hundred years old, Alvaro Velez, became a father for the second time. He and his mate were only normal pack members that lived secluded in a cabin away from the alpha's house, as per costume. That secluded house had been attacked by rogues when Angel was ten human years old. They killed his parents but he miraculously escaped unharmed. His sister and her mate, the Alpha of the South American Pack, took him in and raised him, for the better and the worse.

Amaru always felt he could be a potential challenge for his position. But Angel grew up without any interest in fighting or challenging him or anybody, and to make sure it stayed like that, Amaru took care to crush his self-esteem and courage bit by bit, day by day.

It was Angel's damn luck that Amaru was the one that caught him kissing one of the human servant boys when he had been fourteen. As a result, Amaru gathered the pack and outed him forcefully before all of them and then beat him to teach him a lesson to not go against the will of the goddess that had created males, females, and the mate bond to tie them.