06. In joy and sorrow - Michael

Three thirty in the morning and he couldn't sleep.

Michael was looking how Charlotte's back moved rhythmically in tone with her breathing and together with it the marking, his marking, that couldn't feel more misplaced.

She wanted to have it on the back to not see it. It was in shape of flames according to the tradition of the fire Alphas, red and glowing from his proximity. Slowly he opened his palm to let a little fire illuminate the darkness.

The power was fascinating, still it felt foreign. He was still seeing it as Erik's power, as if he took something from him, as he was living his life. Unfortunately he didn't inherit all of it, he couldn't heal. That would have proven more useful in some ways.

Like that, he could at least have heal the battle scars of his Luna. He felt sorry for Charlotte. She had lost the man she loved, the beauty she was known for, her will to live and was given a child she never wanted with a man she didn't love or was loved by.

He couldn't say he didn't care for her or respected her, she was smart, beautiful despite the scars, a brilliant warrior, he could have loved her were he born different. It never bothered him to be gay, but till now it also never interfered with duty. As a Beta he could be a respected warrior and still take to bed whomever he wanted, as an Alpha it was different.

The heir problem seemed to have solved itself easier that expected but certainly not without a price. It never even crossed his mind he would ever be a father yet there he was. The child would be there in a bit more than a year sealing his fate completely.

It was not like he had any hope of things getting back to how they were, they never would, so why think about it?

Because of love and joy...and Angel, he heard his subconsciousness whisper.
He avoided thinking about him as much as possible, it was just too painful. The way he left would always remain in his memories as one of the most horrible moments of his life.

I did everything for you, I fought and bled for you and you just discard me like this, without even the trace of a fight? Angel's words echoed in his head for days and his teary eyes and torn expression were the things he saw frequently in his nightmares.

He was the love of his life, he was certain of that, since the first moment he saw him twenty-eight years ago he was sure they were born for each other and he really hoped Angel would be the last person he kissed, his last love.

For the kissing that had proven to not be true in the end, only the love...

Charlotte whimpered in her sleep. She had frequent nightmares. On the volcano she was caught in a storm of fire and boulders when she wanted to reach Erik on the battlefield. The Moon Goddess didn't want anybody to reach Erik so not even Charlotte powered by love and honor could.

She was injured badly but didn't die, he had found her when he reached the volcano together with Angel, her and a bunch of other wounded from different packs.

It was the most horific scene he witnessed in his life and that after seeing two world wars.

The images would stay engraved in his brain forever. Samira was cradling Dahiru's dead body crying and bleeding, Nodin searching maddened for Mei, and finding her eventually crushed under a pile of stones, Kiera wanting to slit her wrists with Cohen's dagger so they could die together.

Their goddess had forsaken them in the most non figurative way. Now, months later, they still struggled to reconstruct their shattered packs.

So it seemed in the end that the Moon Goddess had planned all along to lead them to war against the humans and ultimately the gods. The only one that seemed to know that was Kiril and astonishingly he did act in the spirit of the greater good even if he was inscented by vengeance.