26. Someone has to - Michael

Were they contemplating the end of the world? Most likely.

Death could come in so many ways those days and death could mean the death of everyone.

Michael felt desperate as never before. If Kiril was indeed alive and doing what was rumored, he was going to come for him soon.

He couldn't understand how Angel could walk in there so carelessly. That monster likely wanted his alpha power too and he was serving it to him on a silver platter. He shouldn't have let him go or he should have gone with him. But then Charlotte would have been alone here and he had to choose again, so once again he chose duty, his family, and his pack. But if Angel were to die? Could he just carry on?

He had to. After all, he had a pack, a luna, and a child, and seemingly also the world to protect.

It looked like only he could see everything objectively. The gods were not the problem, not his or their problem at least. If they wanted to kill Mila or enslave her or whatever, so be it. Her life was a small price to pay for the well-being and peace of his kind.
The problem was Kiril, who would not let anything as it was, who would come to take and destroy everything as he always did because of a whim.

Erik should have killed him a long time ago. He had told him that multiple times, that that guy would become a problem eventually but Erik was all virtuous, saying Kiril didn't do anything directly to him or his pack, and it would only disturb the power balance. There he had it, now Kiril was shitting all over the power balance and he had to clean that up.

He had to gather an army, and that with light speed.

Damn it, it was stupid letting Angel go there.

He needed a plan. Lately, whenever he needed to think he would be talking to Charlotte, Charlotte, that was really angry with him now.

He needed to gather the other powers that were left to establish the balance again, that if everything was true. But if Angel didn't make it back alive? He needed also a backup plan, he needed something to tip off the balance in his favor.

Desperate as could be, he turned to the only person that he could still unconditionally count on.

"The brotherhood of the right faith is likely still looming in the dark waiting for their time for revenge. That is what was rumored back in the day when Rasputin had an open conflict with them. It did take a while but they managed to kill him after all. Humans are... Persistent," said Wilhelm.

His face was stern as always but his father was wise, experienced, and had managed to survive through a lot of situations. Besides he was the only one he could turn to now.

"I don't think it's a good idea to get in contact with them though. They are such disgraceful creatures. Humans can be a very spiteful kind and they hate us."

"Well, that's good if they hate Kiril."

"They hate everything that is different and would want to kill us all if given a chance."

"But they won't get that. They can aid me to kill Kiril and they can boast and rejoice in it and then everyone would be on their way. Besides if I kill Kiril I would be... Lycan King." Michael paused a second to think about what he said. Lycan King. "I mean humans would not stand a chance."

Lycan King. Likely one of the most powerful creatures alive. Him. He, not Erik. He could eliminate all the evil from the world and all the injustice. He would be courageous and just and a good leader.

"Michael, you do know that power is also a burden and it is likely to corrupt the soul," whispered his father in his annoyingly calm voice. That was how he always had been, annoyingly cautious, but no, the world is of the daring, it suddenly dawned on him. If nobody saw the right thing besides him he would have to make them see it and they would thank him eventually.