36. The greater good - Angel

Kiril had asked him to command his packs.

Packs. Plural. Full of people who either didn't know him, didn't like him, or didn't even consider giving him the time of the day. He had struggled with commanding his own pack. Singular.

In the end, the only way to impose his authority had been to almost murder his former Beta in front of everyone.

I swear, Lycans are the one species where the brain shrinks to the size of a pea when it comes in touch with sheer force and dominance.

In the back of his mind, he couldn't help thinking that Samira would have been a much better choice. She was a natural leader, while he wasn't even sure if he could ever grow into that role. But then again, Samira was pregnant and only hours ago host to some demonic mage.

Sighing, he conclude that Kiril was right after all. Sadly, he was his best shot. All his life, people had been doubting him, and then that very infamous guy came along and decided to trust him with his life, just like that.

Kiril is weird.

Sitting on the rubble of their former home, Angel started thinking. First of all, they had to recapture Katharina because if she would find Mila so would the Earth Goddess and that meant game over.

According to Dasha, Mila was afraid to use her powers or to step in the sun because then the Sun God would find her.

She doesn't even know about the, seemingly equally crazy Earth Goddess.
What type of creatures are these gods anyways if they gang up so easily on each other?

It was almost dawn and he had to go because the packs would arrive shortly. His initial plan to talk sense into Michael failed spectacularly as did his plan B, to beat sense into him. He only got his ass kicked.

I mean, what were you expecting, Angel? He taught you how to fight, there was no way in hell you could actually win. Yet you were stupid enough to try...

He didn't know Katharina that well but he knew what she wanted, namely to get to Mila. Michael's scent still lingered in the air and he followed it for a bit without thinking, when the other familiar scent entwined with his.

Katharina was smart. It made perfect sense for her to side with Michael and his murderous new friends. What other choice did she have?

The dungeon was only an hour's run away and they were both heading in that direction when suddenly several other scents came to meet them.

Fuck!

But then Angel noticed that the proximity he felt towards her through the chain weakened if he walked further in the direction of the dungeon. He sniffed again. 

They did part ways. How odd.

And then it hit him, a literal fist out of the blue. Katharina huffed and bit with her elongated fangs into his shoulder.

It had been such a horrible day so far and now this. It just started raining and Katharina was putting up an actual fight. Why? She was hurting herself too.

"Stop it! Are you crazy? What are you doing?"

"I just picked my part in your marital dispute and astonishingly it's not you. Michael needs a hand to become Lycan King and I am willing to help. You are weak Angel, so terribly weak. Alpha only in name," she stated while he was having a hard time blocking her hits.

She was saying all those terrible things, those things that he also considered true so they hurt more than anything and suddenly something snapped in him. Without thinking, acting only on impulse and rage, like that time with Rodrigo, he channeled his alpha power, and suddenly all the raindrops were under his control and the pressure that moved them became abruptly so high that they behaved like weapons.