08. How to mend a broken heart - Samira

Women have fought for freedom for hundreds of years, they still do, they deal with preconceptions, stereotypical gender roles, inequality and unapologetic judgement every day for many of their actions.

One has however to admit that some women have it infinitely worse than others and changing the world is a long-term process.

What can change the world though in the end? Probably only education, tolerance and kindness. And time...what about time? That was something she did not have.

These thoughts were crossing Samira's mind that day after the phone call she had with Michael. He had some points, she had to admit, or at least she knew where he was coming from, but she couldn't give in, the world changes with resilience, blood and sacrifices if you lack time.

"They are here. Ganiru too," said Akin apologetically.

Ganiru was one of the regional leader, warden of South Africa to be precise and no fan of hers.

"I am sorry, I tried, they just don't want to go away."

"I can only imagine a few worse ways to end a day. Tell them I will be with them in a few minutes."

When Samira entered the meeting room she found there all the pack leaders of the African continent. She blinked to conceal her concern. All men, all bearing grim expressions.

"It makes no sense to talk a lot. The point is, Sanjay, alpha of Asia, let us know about the proposal he made you and we have accepted on your behalf," said Ganiru.

"You did what?" asked Samira dumbfounded.

She just couldn't hide the anger and disgust in her tone and expression.

"Gentlemen, you do know it's the twenty first century and that I am your fucking Alpha. If it comes to that I can comand you all to slit your throats."

"Samira... You know you can't. That would mean a revolution and your death."

The way in which he was saying her name was driving her crazy. He would have never dared to address Dahiru like that. But she was female, the first female Alpha and only half African not from a reputed linage like Dahiru. Her mind was working frenetically to find a solution, an adequate answer.

What could she possibly do? Fight them. And kill them? That would indeed mean a revolution, she would go down in history like Samira the bloody. And they were twenty, it would be difficult and they could injure the baby. She could run away but what then? Turn rogue? Go seek asylum? But where? Angel had very similar problems and she just had a fight with Michael. Abandoning her position would mean admitting defeat.

She could barely breath and her knuckles were white from clenching her fists in anger and dispare. She felt like crying, fucking hell, she couldn't cry in front of them, that would be the end.

The instinct was to pray to the Moon Goddesses to give her strength, but the Moon Goodness was evil and most of all gone. If she would be praying now it would be to the probably deceased Mila.

Fight or flight?

Say something. Anything.

"Okay. When?" She answered simply.

Ganiru smiles the creepiest smile Samira had ever seen.

"I would have expected you to put on a fight. It is good you didn't, that would have obliged us to eliminate you and you are still a reasonably popular even if controversial leader. The first female Alpha. Well not for long anymore but it is still a thing all females of the continent, and some men, take pride in. Anyway, it's in one month, before new moon. Prepare yourself, you will be marked beforehand, probably in one week from now."