34. Abomination - Milena

The tranquilizer made her sleep for hours, concluded Mila when she saw the light shining through the small dungeon window.

The dose must have been big, she didn't feel or remember anything. Strange substances were most certainly not good in a pregnancy she thought, moving a hand over her belly. These people likely didn't know, certainly didn't care, and it was probably better to keep it that way.

The place looked indeed like a dungeon with dirt, dead leaves, and moss covering the stone floor and walks. It was stinking of mold and it was awfully cold. The only good thing was, that the only window was so small and high up that the sun rays didn't touch her.

Mila was terribly afraid of Helios, only thinking about him made her shudder. The easiness with which he could bend her to his will and make her think she wanted it that way was terrifying.

She also had the feeling things had happened there, in that strange dimension of the gods, that she forgot about, that he made her forget about.

That made her think of Kiril. His power was quite similar, he could manipulate one's thoughts and feelings but he never did that to her, he let her feel everything as it was, even when she begged him to make her forget. Back then she didn't understand, but now she did and he had been right, it was better that way, ti was better to remember all the parts of your story, even the bitter ones.

There were steps in the hallway. Five men in black robes opened the door to the cell.

One of them seemed more important than the rest. He had a long grey beard, was bald, seemed in his late fifties, and even if boney and seemingly frail, he reeked of authority.

"Так это она./So that is her," he whispered in Russian to his companions. "Она выглядит как обычная девушка, но как бы со слабой душой, будто переспала с дьяволом./ She looks like a normal girl, but seemingly with a weak soul if she laid with the devil."

Then he directed his attention to her.

"Why did you give into temptation, girl?" he asked. His voice was like honey and fire.

Ah, puny human. Because she liked it, because she wanted to, and because it felt good. Tell him, Mila.

Selene. She didn't hear her in that tranquilizer-induced slumber as she often did when trying to sleep and her voice surprised her.

Serbian is similar enough to Russian for Mila to understand what he asked, but she didn't really feel like answering.

"I don't understand what you say," she answered instead reluctantly in English.

"Why did you soil yourself in laying with an abomination?" he asked then, in sharp accented English.

That was not going in a good direction at all. The guy was seemingly aware that she mingled with wolf people, likely that she also carried a little hybrid.

So these were enemies of Erik's and of the wolf people, humans that hated them and her throw association.

Erik, where are you? Did you really die? We need you right now. 

"I don't know what you are talking about. I don't know who you are and this must be a misunderstanding."

She decided that playing dumb might have a slight chance of success.

"Was it a coincidence that you were in an apartment rented under the name of Michael Wittfeld? I don't think so, but nice try," said the man smiling maliciously.

"Look, sir, I didn't know what they were," lied Mila. "I am sorry. What do you want from me? They kidnapped me and I just want to go home."

"It is all right. You might serve a greater purpose now, and if we manage to capture him with your help, your sacrifice might redeem your soul."