48. Hell of a kid

I know better than to tell them 'good game' or 'you played good'. They tied the last game with Germany and they just lost to Japan.

I walked onto the field and tried to go to Pedri but he walked away shaking his head and looking down. I stood there and looked foolish. I looked around the stadium and made eye contact with a girl my age maybe older who gave me a sad apologetic smile.

She looked so sweet and humble. She waved a shy wave and I smiled at her. She went to exit the stadium and file up the steps but I jogged over to her.

"Hey- hey" I yell and she turns around. "Come here" I say smiling and she shuffled down.

"What's your name" I ask and she laughs.

"It's bruna" she says and I smile.

"Your really pretty" I say and she laughs again looking away.

"This is actually crazy- I think I'm going insane." She scoffs. "Your Brylie Rodriguez thee Brylie Rodriguez"

"Yeah" I laugh "sometimes I forget everyone knows who I am"

"I love you- your like one of my idols" she says

"Thank you"

"So why exactly did you call me back?" She asks in shock.

"I don't know it was weird- it felt like...I felt something click" I say smiling at my own thoughts. "Here" I give her my number and then jump down from the railing.

"Um okay?!!" She says happily but still confused.

"Sorry" I apologize but I know when I see someone who's kind. She's someone my age, we could be friends, I don't have very many girl female friends.

I walk back in and Sonny walks next to me.

"Oh dammit Sonny" I say and he smiles shaking his head. "Well hell of a game asshole"

"Yeah sorry but not sorry" he tells me ruffling my hair before jogging up the steps and following his team.

I walk into the locker room and find everyone with their heads down. Gavi's head is in his hands and Pedri is zoned out across the room.

I walk up to Gavi and pat his head, he doesn't look up. I sigh and walk over to Pedri. He scoots over on his bench and I sit next to him, neither of us saying a word.

He leans his head on my shoulder and I sneak my arm out and wrap it around his shoulder. I rub his arm up and down. He still stares across the room and I huff.

"Pedri-"

"Brylie don't" he stops me

"Look I-"

"Brylie I said don't" he tells me sternly and I push him off of me.

"Look I'm an athlete too and I've also know you for a long time-"

"Then you should no I don't like losing especially now"

"Yeah I got that part dumbass!" I yell frustrated and everyone looks at us. I take a deep breath and shake my head. "I get it, you don't like losing- no athlete does, but I'm not going to sit here and tell you it's okay because I know you better than that"

"I know that if I tell you 'oh you did great' 'you tried your hardest' you might've already killed me. I won't say anything like that just don't fucking push me away" I say then roll my eyes. "Don't be like me okay?" I say and he stays quiet, the whole locker room does. "You all lost, yeah but your old enough to put that fucking negativity into hard work- get em back, don't fucking have a pity party"