A turn for the worst

I am awoken abruptly from my slumber with a loud, painful scream coming from outside my room. I can feel sweat linger on my brow. Quickly my eyes dart around the room adjusting to the shadowy blackness, it must still be late. I reach for the light and flick it on illuminating the room.

There’s nothing here, and no one either, maybe I just dreamt that scream, I mean it’s not the first time I have woken myself up. Holding my forehead with my hands I pull my knees up to my chest. Was I having a nightmare? I can’t remember what I was dreaming about not even a minute ago. I hate that, I may not like nightmares but it’s always been comforting to me to be able to recall the dream and rationalise it in my conscious mind.

Come on Clara, try and remember, my eyes shut lightly as I wrack my brains trying to remember. Slowly I can feel my subconscious come fading back to me. Colours and blurs appear in my head.

“AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!” the high pitched woman’s voice rings again causing me to jump with so much force that I end up falling off the side of my bed.

When the scream stops I pull myself up from the ground and run to the door, this is no dream! Tossing open the door I quickly dart through it looking for any sign of the woman. The corridors are dark either way I look, the age of the building gives it a dark and eerie feel, the darkness doesn’t help. I can’t see a thing. If only I had a flash light or something!

Come on there has to be a light switch around here somewhere, I strain my eyes to see if I can see one but it’s no use. Wait there’s torches on the walls! I can see the barely there outline of them. There has to be a lighter, some matches, even two freaken stones I can bang together, anything to make a spark! I look around the hall for a table or something, maybe there’s something in my room. I turn to leave when a chilling breath brushes across the back of my neck.

“Use your powers” a whisper sounds behind me sending another cold shiver through my body! I jump slightly at the feel of another’s presence.

“Dimitri?” I ask back hoping greatly that this is him messing with me. “Dimitri this isn’t funny” I follow. A gush of unexplained with blows passed me whispering;

“Focus” as it flows.

“Focus on what?” I beacon the presence to talk again, it’s strange I feel uneasy but not scared about this. I feel the wind flow again.

“Fire” it hisses back.

It wants me to use my powers?, its helping me? I have a bad feeling about this but this presence’s energy is so alluring, it’s like my powers are just begging me to use them now. I can do this, they are my powers I can use them however I like.

“Alright” I mutter to the air. Shutting my eyes tight I picture it. I picture fire, so vivid in my mind I can actually feel the heat. I can feel that usual heat build-up in my chest as it always did when I used my powers. Through the crack in my closed eyes I can see something forming in front of me. My eyes snap open to observe the object.

It’s a great big ball of light, it’s about a foot in diameter giving out the purest light I have ever seen. Something about this light is so enticing, so inviting that I reach out to place my hand on it – to my surprise it just moves away of its own accord. I look up to see that its light covers about a three meter span illuminating everything in its range.

Taking a better look I actually can see the fire, it looks like a little fire ball only surrounded by a ball of glass or something.

Again I reach out to touch it but again it avoids my touch moving a foot away.

“Follow it” the gush of wind takes me by surprise.

“Where?” I ask but there is no reply. Instead the ball begins to move down the corridor – it does not stop to wait for me so I run to catch up with it. I follow it through the dark passage ways trusting the direction its taking. The orb reaches the top of the staircase and stops.