A friendly face with a guilty mind.

The first beast lunges at Dimitri swiping its claws at his chest. The attack barely misses him as he grabs the beast’s skin and tosses it into a nearby dead tree. The tree gives a loud crack before falling to the ground – dizzily the beast stumbles back to its feet. The rest of the pack begin to crowd around Dimitri snarling as they do.

“Dimitri look out” I scream from my perch as I see one behind him move. In a flash Dimitri catches the thing and tosses it to the ground. He doesn’t let go of it but instead takes a hold on both its body and its neck and twists in different directions. It squeals and wriggles pointlessly, with one sudden movement and one quick snap the thing fell dead. For a second the pack stood frozen summing up their opponent.

This time Dimitri doesn’t wait for one to attack, he disappears in a flash. Quickly he reappears on the back of one who did not seem keen of having a rider. It begins to run and buck. Dimitri seems un-phased by it. I watch as he pulls his arm back with his hand kept pointed down like a dagger. With so much force Dimitri plunges his hand down breaking through the beast’s body. For a second he does not pull his hand back but waits allowing the beast to roar out. When he dose pull his hand back he holds in it a huge black organ. Its heart!

Dimitri dismounts it before it can hit the ground.  As he stands to catch his breath he looks around seeing where everything is.

“Ahhh” I scream and hold on tighter as I feel the tree I am sitting on jolt violently. Looking down I seen the large one Dimitri had thrown earlier ramming its shoulder into the base of the tree.

“Clara!” Dimitri yells but before I can respond the wind whips my hair up as I begin to fall. I feel the burning in my chest return to me. Just when I expect to hit the ground hard on my back I find myself landing comfortably on the balls of my feet. Dimitri soon appears by my side pressing his shoulder to mine.

“Clara, whatever happens don’t lose control” he warns as I feel the heat rise. Another two beasts charge at us from either side so Dimitri and I turn back to back. I see it coming fast and angry – I need to think of something. Intensively I hold out my hands like a shield. Following my thoughts I see the beast collide with an invisible wall. It falls stunned to the ground. Taking advantage of its current weakened state I run and step over to straddle the thing. Placing my hands under its chin I use all my energy to yank its head. I keep pulling and pulling ignoring the snapping of the bones and the ripping of its flesh. I stumble back when the muscle holding it together finally gives way. Blood spurts everywhere, from both the open neck and the head in my hands. I look up to see Dimitri fighting the biggest one. And now the only one.

There is a slight squish when I drop the head on the ground. Looking around I see a large branch with a sharp and deadly looking edge. Quickly I sprint to it and with one strike of my foot I break the branch.

“Ahhh!” Dimitri’s scream makes me spin round. I see him sink to his knee grabbing at his bleeding chest. The beast towers over him ready for the next blow. NO! Not Dimitri. More anger than ever builds in my chest pushing me to breaking point.

The thing has its back to me so I take this opportunity to run at it. Pushing myself off the ground I jump to allow me to stab the branch into its back. I stab with so much force the point penetrates straight through the tough, scaly skin that covers it right through to the other side. I have to stop because if I push it in any further ill hit Dimitri. With my superhuman strength I pull the beast away and fling it in the opposite direction as if I was throwing a small toy.

I fall to my knees and hug myself to Dimitri. I can feel my bravery and strength now fading. Dimitri’s arm pulls me in closer as the world around us begins to fade. The white blank tiles replace the fiery waste land. An overwhelming sense of relive floods through me the moment I see the big metal door open. Hooking my arms around Dimitri I do my best to hoist him up supporting his weight. I look to him only to see his injuries are gone! Like completely! This is crazy.