72. THE JILY WEDDING

"Was there a third body?" asked James kneeling by the bodies.

"No, we searched the house and wreck but there was no other body," replied White. "Where were you anyway? We received your Patronus but when we came here you weren't here."

"I was busy getting help," muttered James, tears falling from his eyes. 

"But these injuries on your arms and face?" asked Dorcas.

"Ran into three death eaters, escaped," replied James. "Now's not the time for it. We. . . we have to search her."

"Could they have kidnapped her?" suggested Moody.

"No. we were here, they didn't kidnapped anyone," replied Sirius.

The doe erupted from Lily's wand flew with lightning speed.

"Only if we could track those damn things," said Dorcas through gritted teeth.

"We've to wait, and hope at least she is alright," said Lily sitting beside James and hugging him.

"Oh! she will be very devasted if she finds out," said James and Sirius nodded.

There was a loud crack, and they all pointed their wands at the source of the sound.

"Whoa! Chill. I didn't know these many were waiting for me. What happened, Lily? I recie. . . ." she stopped abruptly as she watched the house. "NO! NO! NO! This can't be."

She moved forward and saw her parents, lying lifeless on the ground. Remus caught her as she wobbled.

"Shh..." he gently helps her sit.

"Why? Why us? First Lily's parents, then James' and now mine. Why?" she sobbed. "I left for an hour and . . .and. I should have been there."

"You would have been killed if you were here," said White.

"Where were you?" asked Remus.

"Mum was cooking, so, I went out to get some dessert, when I met Bertha Jorkins. . .and we began talking, and I was with her till Lily's doe appeared," she sobbed.

"So, Bertha saved a life," sighed Peter. "Her habit of talking non-stop finally did some good."

They all spend the next few days at Sirius' house to support Marls. Lily thought it was only luck that saved Marls or else she too would have been dead. If Lily were to ask three years ago if she believes in luck, she would have laughed and said 'NO', but now after encountering Voldemort and having fought so many battles, she believed in luck strongly, she wasn't dependent on it but she saw it as hope.

"Guys, we've decided to postpone the wedding for now," James said when all seven of them were sitting together. It had been a difficult choice but both James and Lily had talked that it wasn't a good time to have celebrations.

"Are you stupid?" asked Marls bewildered. "Look, I will be honest, I am feeling down but there are people dying daily, we're just lucky enough to survive. If you postpone it now, you'll continue postponing it forever. I think a wedding is what we need at the moment." 

"But. . ."

"No, but, Lily. I know why you're postponing it but that's stupid. We need some cheering in dark times. So, please just stick to the schedule. I don't want your sister to change her mind and steal my position as 'maid of honour.'"

"I agree with Marls, James. I may not be able to attend the wedding if you postpone it even by a week," said Remus. "I have to go on a long mission."

"Where?" asked James.

 "Dumbledore has asked me to join the group of werewolves before the next full moon, so as to spy, and if possible to look for members who'll be willing to join us," Remus bit his lips and fidgeted.