66. Nagini (The Lignum Family)

"You look tired, mate," commented Sirius. "And you've been silent all day."

"I was up all night," James replied. "I can't sleep when people attack my friends and try to take my friends away from me into the darkness. They tried to recruit Peter, they will pay for it, they called my friends name, they'll pay for it, in front of the entire school."

"What are you going to do?" asked Remus alarmed.

"You'll see,"

"Is it something that can hurt others and end you in detention?" Remus asked.

"Yeah, worse than that," muttered James.

"James, that will be stupid. Remember what Lily said about taking things in your hand and punishing, remember what happened by the lake when you took revenge on Snape?"

"I remember very clearly, and I had warned them to stay away from my friends but they seemed to have forgotten it, they need a reminder, this time in front of the whole school in Great Hall."

"James, Lily will get angry at you, you both are doing well and you want to spoil it just to teach them a lesson? It's stupid James, think about Lily before acting," Remus reasoned. 

"It's more than Lily, it involves her, you, Mary, and Peter, they fucking tried to hire him," growled James.

"But I am not joining," said Peter proudly and James gave him a smile.

"We destroyed the bathroom last night, don't overdo it, you don't want to get back to your younger self and risk losing Lily."

"She'll understand. She knows times have changed. Let's go to The Great Hall," he walked out. The other three boys shrugged and followed him.

After all this time, Lily was sure of one thing James couldn't sleep at night after his friends were put in these scenarios, she has thought of spending the  night with him but decided to give him some privacy, and today all day he had been quite and distant from her, hasn't spoken much during lessons. She was sure he was up to something very very serious when he arrived for dinner and the looks on the other three boys behind him and the way they were looking at him confirmed her suspension.

He gave her a wink, patted Kevin on the back, greeted Adi Patel and Nancy before sitting opposite to Lily, she tilted her head and looked at him curiously. One glance at staff table and sadly Dumbledore was there talking to Sprout.

Once the entire hall was filled and people began eating dinner and relaxed, James slid under the table after making sure no one was watching and then put the cloak over him, Lily saw it and so did the marauders but they remained silent. He walked to stand behind four Slytherins who were his target, and then he closed the gates of the great hall with his wand, by the time some people noticed what was going on black smoke filled the hall, students began shouting. He immediately grabbed the four boys and did what he intended.

The smoke cleared within a minute, teachers were on their feets with wands out, a few students had either left their seat or were under the table. Four boys were hanging through their robes on the wall, their robes pulled back from their arms and the dark mark visible, blood was dripping from a small cut on all of their chins. Written over them was a message:

                                                                  STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS.
                                                            IF YOU HURT THEM, I WILL HURT YOU.

James has returned to his seat and has pulled off the cloak and was sitting still with serious face, he then stood on the Gryffindor table.

"Please, remain silent and please sit down, there's nothing to worry," he said in his wand and his words echoed. He looked at Dumbleodore and gave him a look that said 'sorry.' Dumbledore gave him a slight nod.