44| The Undying Glory

❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ❁ ❫・━━━━━━
Cheeeanjeevi: Late king of Kapilvastu.
Sridhar: Eldest kid of Anandhani.
Satyayani: Queen mother.
Kanishka: Brother of Cheeranjeevi.
❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ❁ ❫・━━━━━━ ❜

Cheeranjeevi's eyes flapped, and the gush of blood through his stomach pained him. He could sense the bruises all around his body. The breeze carrying the fragrance of dandelions touched the tip of his nose, his soul was bewildered all ready to be set free but waiting for the final jab. 

The loss of energy in his muscles made those eyelids amalgamate once more. His naked chest could feel the warmth of his hot breath.

A few footsteps and his eyes wide opened. He had known who it could be. 

Having kneeled forward Cheeranjeevi, Kanishka ruffled his hair. It wasn't affection but merely a way of taking out his frustration, he pulled the hair to the direction of the throne "I knew I would never be able to kill you myself. At least a hundred?" 

"na jayate mriyate va kadacin

nayam bhutva bhavita va na bhuyah

ajo nityah sasvato 'yam purano

na hanyate hanyamane sarire" muttered Cheeranjeevi 

[For the soul, there is never birth nor death. Nor, having once been, does he ever cease to be. He is unborn, eternal, ever-existing, undying, and primeval. He is not slain when the body is slain.]

"I knew that you loved learning new things, so another great piece of knowledge for you." Kanishka patted the shoulder of the king, gesturing him to look towards his right.

There stood Sridhar with an innocent smile on his face, a finger in his mouth. Aged four but the experience he was set to see was contradictory to the aging factor. 

"Meet him, Sridhar, my son." Kanishka paused for a while, "Oh no– not mine but yours' " 

Cheeranjeevi's already stretched eyes widened at the mention of another boy being his son, he distrusted Kanishka. He knew that it was a lie. 

It was easy for Kanishka to guess the thoughts of Kanishka even without listening to him, "You have a daughter no? Then let me tell you, I was the one to kidnap one of your twins. Anandhani had delivered twins, the queens of Sindh were informed of the death of the son and I think that they didn't mind speaking to you the same." 

The King of Kapilvastu lacked the stamina to get up, his spine ached to get up. He felt miserable, not as a king but as a father. Gulping the limp of saliva in his throat he cried, "Leave my boy, kill me but return him to his mother." 

"Tch…tch" Kanishka sympathized with the king, he had plans of his own. Grasping the sheath of the dagger attached to his waist he handed it to Cheeranjeevi. "I will return Sridhar to his mother, but yeah as my son as per your pleadings, I love my Sridhar but none loves you. Right, Sri?" Kanishka looked at Sridhar for affirmation. Sridhar nodded. "Me or Sridhar? Tell me whom do you wish to stab you to death?"