90: Cannot Go on Without You

Start from the beginning

Yet, Tanjirō will forever know the truth as his lips snarled in frustrating rage, powerless sorrow, and burning numbness.

Two-hundred people didn't die. Kyōjurō did best to make sure everyone lived.

The young Slayer took a deep breath, finding it so hard to stand in this soul-shattering moment as the ached in his limbs felt like lifting anvils.

Is this real life, right now? Did an Upper Moon demon really show up?

Feels like dream that Tanjirō really wish he could wake up.

And yet...

It's all real as he bowed his head in sorrow. Not in sorrow over the loss (thanks Inosuke's encouraging words of not giving up), but in sorrow over a recurring matter that's coursing through in his devastated mind as he thought of Kyōjurō's wife, (Name) and son, Taiyo.

'How am I going tell (Name)?' Tanjirō thinks, 'I...I let her down...I couldn't save Rengoku-san.'

Regret tug at his soul as Tanjirō stares blankly at the snow covered ground.

Wait....snow?

"Huh? It's snowing," he heard a Kakushi member say as the others all stopped what they're doing and looked upwards at the sky.

Tanjirō, Zenitsu, and Inosuke glanced up, the sky is still a mixture of yellow, orange, and red. There's not a gray cloud in sight and the temperature isn't even cold, since it's in the middle of spring as snowflakes fell even more.

Suddenly and seemingly outta nowhere, the boys felt a bone-chilling wind blow by.

"Brrrrah~ it's COLD!" Inosuke exclaimed, immediately wrapping his arms around himself, now feeling far too underdressed.

Usually, he could take cold weather, since he learned how to cope with winter when living in the wild, but this was like....advanced coldness.

Standing up, Tanjirō held out his hand, catching beautiful snowflakes in his palm.

"Hold on...do you guys hear that?" Asked Zenitsu, causing both Tanjirō and Inosuke to look at him questioningly.

"Hm? Hear what?" Tanjirō ask.

"Like a..whoosh, whoosh sound."

They stayed silent for a moment, but didn't hear anything.

"I....I don't hear anything, Zenitsu." Tanjirō tells him.

"I'm telling you, I hear it. It's sounds like heavy wings flapping."

Granted, the blonde boy's hearing is so exceptional that he could a butterfly fluttering in the wind.

"What'd you mean like heavy wings flapping? You're probably just hearing things!" Exclaimed Inosuke.

"I-I'm serious! I hear it...and it sounds like it's heading this way." Zenitsu says, looking up at the sky.

Everyone did the same, waiting to see just what or who it is that's coming towards them as snow fell all around them.

Soon, they did hear a distant flapping sound and Tanjirō's nose quickly picked up the scent of jasmine and peppermint just as he sees something approach over head.