78. Speak your Truth

。・:*:・゚★,"Is that a threat?":*:・゚☆

。・:*:・゚★,"All your threats sound like compliments to my ears

。・:*:・゚★,"All your threats sound like compliments to my ears."。・:*:・゚☆

Riven

I shake, gasping for breath as Tavi stands before me. Dowling's body is slumped over on the floor and I tremble at the waves of power washing over me. Silent steps murmur across the ground as with wraith like steps my mate prowls towards me.

Gentle footsteps stop before me, a shift of cloth-wings, has a soft breeze fluttering over my cheeks. A breath chokes in my throat and I swallow as cold fingers brush against the underside of my chin. With a softness I didn't know she possessed Octavia tugs at my chin, tilting my head until I looked up at her.

She's stunning like this and I barely dare to breathe as she stares down at me with eyes of black ink and swirly stars. I watch as her head tilts to the side, the movement more animalistic than human and I can't stop the predator within me from snarling in recognition. I see you, I want to scream. I see you my love. I see every part of you, the good, the bad, the darkness and deceit and I love you more for it.

As if the words were written on my face I see her eyes widen and she tugs at my chin, her other hand reaching out to guide me to my feet until I stare down at her. We stare at each other for a long moment, Soldier and general, lovers and rulers. I wait for her commands, or maybe for her to break down at the strain of the day but I don't voice my concerns because I know they are unfounded.

"Take our troops back to Alfea, Astin Min." Her voice is gentle and smooth. "We are needed to protect the wounded."

She traces her hands over my shoulders, down my arms and across the buckles and straps of my weapons. Dark shadows flutter down her arms coating me like armour until she's satisfied that I will be safe.

"Kaerasti will join you on the battlefield." Sky. She means sky. I stare down at her, slowly lifting a hand as though she was a wounded animal. When she makes no sign of protest I brush a knuckle down her cheek, relief threatening to crush my chest when she leans into the touch.

"Who will be by your side?" I dare to murmur. 

"Kataigída, her lighting is already echoing in the darkness. I must join her, you will be safe."

It's not a question, nor a plea but an order. I will come back to her or she will drag the god of death to the pits of hell unless he brings me back.

"I will." I state and Octavia goes to pull away then- hesitates. Her unseeing eyes flickering across my face as a moment of awareness comes back to my mate. I close my eyes at the delicate brush of her lips against my own but when I open my eyes again there's nothing more than a receding wisp of shadows.

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

Beatrix