20. Shadowless Dances

Octavia

"Octavia, I would like to introduce you to Carlos Siqueira, the foreign ambassador of the Epidórpio poulí." Queen Luna states as she introduces me to the sixth ambassador of the night.

I smile politely at the winged male, dipping my head in greeting as I do my best to not stare at the giant sand coloured feather wings. The Epidórpio poulí, the desert birds, or rather the fae who dwell in the sand dunes of Solaria are renowned for their trade in spices. They contribute to 60% of Solaria's economy with their inter-realm trade.

"It is an honour to meet you ambassador."

"And it is a pleasure to finally make your acquaintance princess." Ambassador Siqueira replies warmly, his ageing face rippling with the movement. He reaches forward to gently clasp both of my hands before bringing them up to touch the back of my knuckles to his forehead.

"It is custom within my people to greet one and other formally in this way. It is a sign of respect and symbolises the work of another's hands and the respect in your mind of their dedication."

I glance at the Queen who merely nods for me to reciprocate the gesture. I smile nervously but gently take his hands to repeat the actions. I grin at Ambassador Siqueira as he smiles at my efforts. We separate hands and I take a polite step back as I grab a flute of Glowberry champagne from a nearby waiter.

"I hear the production of asafoetida has suffered from last year's drought?"

The Ambassador huffs a small laugh and a grin at my mother's barbed question. Asafoetida is the rarest and most popular spice amongst the rich upper classes.

"I can assure you your highness, our work is more than sufficient." His teeth flash, in a viscous smile. "Perhaps it is your taxes draining my workers."

I watch with rapt attention as the Queen's eyes narrow as she hums in thought.

"Perhaps, but I was once told by a young tradesman that many Epidórpio do not seek riches and gold."

Siqueira takes a step towards us, his eyes flaring with glee at the thought of battle. I tense at the small grin that graces his face.

"Times have changed, your majesty. The ways of old have been lost and I won't have my people left behind to starve as food now becomes scarce, taxed and bought through a currency not of their making."

"What are you implying Ambassador?" Luna questions as she too takes a step forward. "It is impertinent for someone of your political standing to question the ways of an entire realm."

Those magnificent talon tipped wings ruffle and tighten with indignation and I see the ambassador's guards step forward in response, I quickly place my champagne flute on a nearby table before moving back to Queen Luna's side. The guards' wings straighten up before flaring slightly to become more imposing, I can see our own guards step forward at the challenge. Useless though they will be against the trained soldiers of the East. This is going to get ugly fast if the two continue to fight. I doubt either will back down and I know subjecting my opinion to scrutiny would merely add fuel to the fire.

"Someone of my standing?" He demands, eye sparking with fury.

"You forget yourself ambassador, you are merely holding a job you are entirely replacab-"

"Ambassador Siqueira." I interrupt. Ignoring my mother's burning gaze as she glares at me in shock.

I wait silently for the winged male to remove his attention from the Queen. My head lifts higher at the challenge in the Ambassador's golden eyes as he stares me down, clearly intrigued by whatever foolish thing he expects me to say.