18. The Game Begins

Octavia

Sky gapes at us in shock. Mouth opening and closing in comical fashion as his gaze darts between our outfits before settling on me.

"I-wow." He states with raised brows

Pathetic. That was the best compliment he could come up with?

"You both look stunning." He grins. Regaining his footing.

See. I comment amusedly as Stella and I leave the dorm. He just needed a minute to process

We pause to lock my dorm and I grin at the shadows grumbling in the back of my mind. I glance at my right shoulder, seeing Little Shadow and Asmodeus swirl gently against my neck. A cool feeling along my arms has me glancing down to see the other's looping and twirling in one long stretch of shadowy ribbon along my arms.

I smile appreciatively at them. They could always tell when I'm stressed, this was their way of comforting me.

"Hide them away." Stella snaps, eyes wide and face cold. I glance up in shock.

"Stel-" Sky says, stepping towards us. He looks surprised and upset and he's staring at my sister in slight horror.

"Now, Octavia. They have no place at a royal event."

Bitch. Asmodeus hisses, but she's right

I stare my sister down, refusing to let a single emotion show on my face as I read the carefully hidden terror in her eyes.

Hide. I command with such force that the shadows dart and disperse from my body in search of a place to hide. Sky stumbles back a step as the shadow brush past his feet and arms in their search for dark corners and shadowed figures.

Stella and I are still staring at each other. My twin breaks the battle as she nods in appreciation and looks away. With my focus gone from Stella I can feel that detached nothingness creepy in the absence of my companions. I shiver slightly, my skin prickling as if someone is watching me.

Just us, mistress. A horrifically distant voice reaches. We'll follow you and stay in the surrounding shadows.

My stomach clenches, I don't know which shadow that was. Normally I can hear and feel them and instinctively recognise which one they are but now. Now it's as if a blanket has covered my senses.

I look up to see Sky watching me as Stella talks away nervously to him about the upcoming event. He seems to be asking me a question with his gaze. I don't know what though. I stride down the hallway, hearing the other two follow quickly. Maybe he wants to know why the sudden event that takes months to plan, why I listened to Stella, why I'm so cold? So many questions, I don't think I have any answers for him.

Sky strides on my left, damn him and his long legs for easily catching up to me. I sigh and slow down to a more comfortable pace, allowing Stella to catch up properly to walk on Sky's other side. We make our way silently through the halls, each of us lost in thought.

A warning buzz of power flits through me. The shadows.

We reach the entrance of Alfea and Sky drifts back a few paces to walk behind us.

"Good luck." He murmurs

We'll need it. Stella links my arm with hers-

Stella and I link arms as we walk behind Beatrix and Ricki. The couple looked adorable in the summer light as we walked along the beach.

"I want...." Ricki starts with a grin as she glances back at us. "Caramel ice cream."

"I want strawberry ice cream." Beatrix bemoans.