51. Shadowed Friends

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

。・:*:・゚★"You are my family, in life and death

。・:*:・゚★"You are my family, in life and death. Not even Hades himself could separate us.":*:・゚☆

Octavia

"Stop the bleeding." I tell Dane while I unscrew the caps on the Zanbaq oil. "Bea, Bea listen to me. You're going to be okay."

Fuck I have no clue if she's going to be okay.

Distantly, the sound of clashing blades and war cries register in the back of my mind. A quick glance at my surroundings confirms that Irene and Sky are still fighting off an approaching three Burned Ones.

I cringe as Beatrix's screams echo through the forest, pouring a vial of Zanbaq into her mouth as I whisper words of comfort. Her wound is barely more than a graze but the infection has already set in. Dane's hand begins to slip from her wound and I realise his attention is no longer on our patient but on the fallen bodies of three specialists.

"Dane?" He looks up at me, eyes wide with fear. "Hold your nerve. Stay focused on the task at hand and grieve later."

He shakily nods but seemingly can't tear his gaze away from his fallen comrades.

"Dane, look at me." I murmur gently, bringing a hand up to clasp on the back of his neck. "We did everything we could for them, they fought and died valiantly. But they are dead now, we are still alive, and to be alive means to keep going."

"They shouldn't have died."

Guilt begins to crush my chest, making it hard to breath.

"No." My voice is soft and sad. "They shouldn't have."

I fucked up.

I really fucked up this time.

Helios, what have I done? I pour Zanbaq onto Beatrix's thigh, the wound looking dark and mottled, her screams force tears to pour down my cheeks. This is all my fault. I was too rash, I should have thought this mission through more. I should have never used the specialists in the first place.

A roar cuts off my thoughts and I look up to see my sister and mate dragging Silva between. Thank Helios they're alive. I choke back a relieved whimper, telling Dane to remain with Beatrix before running to my mate.

"Riv!" I call, voice breaking. "Stel?"

"We're okay, We're okay." Stella calls back, "It's Silva, he's been infected."

And with the shit load of mud covering them all he's fucked. The Burned One behind them screeches with rage and I fling out my hands towards it, sending it flying back into a tree only for it to be impaled on a branch and dying with a loud crunch.

Well that one was easy at least.

"Regroup! REGROUP!" Sky's voice rises above the chaos and I take my sister's place under Silva's arm, helping Riven to drag him towards our small group hidden in a cave.